We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta/Virgin join up

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 22
Delta/Virgin join up

Breaking news on Sky say that Delta have bought a 49% stake in Virgin - Branson has retained 51%

Will this reduce options for flights?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

…nytimes.com/2012/…

This has been rumored for the last week. Delta is buying put Singapore Airlines' 49% stake.

The additional rumor is that Air France/KLM is then going to buy at least a part of Beardy's stake, giving Skyteam a controlling stake.

Edited: 8:49 am, December 11, 2012
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 31
2. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

After what Willie Walsh said yesterday, Richard Branson said on twitter "Who's spreading rumours that I'm about to give up control of @virginatlantic? Sorry BA, we have no plans to disappear"

virgin.com/richard-branson/blog/sorry-ba--we…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

If he retains a 51% stake he hasn't given up control though.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
4. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

I know. My comment was in response to the rumours that USBT referred to.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

My original source for AF/KLM buying Branson's stake is here - telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transpo…

Then there's the renewed spat between Beardy and Willie Walsh. In chronological order, enjoy (especially the last one) -

telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transpo…

Seahouses, United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

If Virgin vanish then we will have a BA monopoly. Everyone will have to fly to London to travel long haul and prices will rocket. Bye Bye world travel.Walsh may then buy up other airlines (with the usual promise of no job losses) and then comence to let them die off and sack the staff.He will be the airline king.

Edited: 10:48 am, December 11, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
7. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

>> If Virgin vanish then we will have a BA monopoly.<<

Oh I'm not so sure about that. It would only be the name that vanishes, but there'd still be a competitor to BA. It may move away from simply duplicating BA on the lucrative routes as the "anti BA" (which isn't a good strategy anyway) but with some new focus "Delta Europe" or whatever it would be called could carve out a lucrative niche for itself and thrive.

>> Everyone will have to fly to London to travel long haul and prices will rocket.<<

Even with Virgin you have to fly to London to travel long haul. And there are plenty of alternatives from the regionals already which are competitive fare wise and more convenient. Think Emirates, Etihad & Qatar to Asia & Australia. United serves five regionals non stop from the US (DL serves two and US serves three). And for Europe there's AF/KL and LH, Flybe, EasyJet and even your favorite airline ever! :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
8. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

If Virgin vanish then we will have a BA monopoly. Everyone will have to fly to London to travel long haul and prices will rocket.

Hardly. There are very few routes that BA solely compete with Virgin on.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
9. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

I'm guessing when nana says longhaul she means Florida, where she does travel to, and for which Virgin fly direct from Manchester.

Seahouses, United...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Delta/Virgin join up

Yes I mean Florida. We fly there two or three times a year and always with Virgin from Manchester. There are no BA flights from Man to MCO. Other USA airlines fly but they are not non stop/direct.

USBT..we do not have to fly to London for Virgin long haul. We can fly, and do frquently, from Manchester to Las Vegas and Fl, both direct non stop and cheaper than elsewhere. It would be a great shame if Mr Walsh and his vulgar ways were the only way we could fly to the uSA.