We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas to Cancun

adelaide
reviews: 48
Vegas to Cancun

Hi,

We have flights booked with UA from Vegas to Cancun with a 1 hr connection in Houston. I hadn't even thought of it, but where will the kids do customs and immigration leaving the US? I presumed Vegas with bags checked through to Cancun? But now I wonder, if they need to do it in Houston 1hr doesn't seem enough.

Would love to hear from someone who has done this trip.

Cheers

Knoxville, tn
reviews: 1
1. Re: Vegas to Cancun

For Las Vegas -> Cancun you would do immigration and customs on arriving in Cancun, there would be none leaving US. The 1 hour should be fine. Now, if you are coming back the same route you will have to do US customs and immigration in Houston and 1 hour would be close.

adelaide
2. Re: Vegas to Cancun

They are flying from Cancun into La Guardia NY, on a direct flight,so no worries with that flight. Curious why there would be no customs/ immigration in Vegas for Australian citizens leaving the US?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
3. Re: Vegas to Cancun

"Curious why there would be no customs/ immigration in Vegas for Australian citizens leaving the US?"

There is no customs/immigration for anybody leaving the US - they are not interested in what you're taking out of the country although where you're arriving will have customs.

I doubt you had to clear customes/immigration on leaving Aus so no difference.

adelaide
4. Re: Vegas to Cancun

Hi Tom,

Definitely do Customs/ Border protection when leaving any country I have visited. So the US dont care if people carry wads of cash out? Illegal to leave Australia with more than 10K. Or just to get your passport checked that you have actually left the country.

Thanks

Scotland
reviews: 11
5. Re: Vegas to Cancun

Some countries have exit controls, others (e.g. UK, USA) do not.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 53
6. Re: Vegas to Cancun

I think a few of the checks/tasks that Customs officials conduct in Australia are done by check-in staff in the USA.

For anyone who has never exited Australia - it can often be as tedious as the entry process.

1060 W Addison...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Vegas to Cancun

There will be a passport check before getting on the flight to Cancun. Again, the worry isn't leaving the US (we don't care much who leaves), but making sure you'll have the right to enter Mexico.

1060 W Addison...
reviews: 8
8. Re: Vegas to Cancun

Hmmm..

Australian exit agent: Is that a wallaby in your pocket, or are you just excited to be leaving?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 53
9. Re: Vegas to Cancun

I think they are looking for criminals fleeing the country.

I once had a weird experience in Brisbane when I was on my way to London and I was taken to the little room and asked where I got my (Australian) passport (it was new and obtained through nornal channels via the passport office).

They made me wait 5 or so minutes while they went and did some checks and then I was free to go...They refused to tell me what it was about. Given I was only 18 with no criminal record or anything to flee the country for it was pretty strange.

Sydney, New South...
10. Re: Vegas to Cancun

Jarox how did you go with this connection?

I am thinking of booking the same route and worried that 1 hour wont be enough time