We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

Sacramento...
reviews: 3
American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

Hi. I am planning a flight over to Scotland next May, and I will be purchasing my flight soon. Right now the cheapest flights with the best times for me are with British Airways. The problem is that I would be required to fly American Airlines domestically as part of the flight. What if American Airlines either goes bankrupt or merges with US Airways before May? I worry that my flight will be changed or cancelled if that happens. Is it safe to book a British Airways flight that uses American Airlines, when American is having so much trouble lately? Maybe I should pay more for another airline to play it safe? Thank you for your time. Here is a recent article I read.:

nytimes.com/2012/…

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

Totally safe - AA wont be going anywhere before May.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
2. Re: American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

AA is in bankruptcy reorganization now.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 22
3. Re: American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

I would do as I always do and leave plenty of time for connections between flights and not plan anything important for the first day.

You never know what is going to happen on any flight - whether it might be cancelled or resheduled, there may be storms, there may be a mechanical issue, there may be a crew issue, a volcano on the other side of the world may erupt and produce an ash cloud that grounds everything for a week?

If you book your tickets throught BA then even if AA does cease flying it will be BA's issue to get you onto another flight.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
4. Re: American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

First, you don't have to use American Airlines domestically; you can drive to San Francisco and take a BA nonstop to London, and connect there to Scotland. Or fly on Alaska Airlines to Seattle and BA from there, and so on.

Second, the article you referenced is about AA LEAVING bankruptcy, where they've been for around a year. Even if they end up merging with US Airways, US' leadership has said all along that AA's routes and identity would most likely be retained; regardless, mergers like this take years to finalize, evidence the long drawn out drama of United and Continental's merger, or Delta's with Northwest.

Third, flight cancellations and schedule changes happen all the time. If you're ticketed you'll be accommodated on other flights at no expense to you.

AA isn't going to stop flying. Last week I rode roughly 8,000 miles on AA and every flight was on time, service was good, and the airport and on-board staff were friendly and upbeat. I'll be doing the same this week, and expect the same. Don't worry, be happy.

Sacramento...
reviews: 3
5. Re: American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

Thanks for your great replies. I am convinced that it is safe to use British Airways and American Airlines. :) I appreciate your time and replies.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
6. Re: American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

I'd drive to SFO and take KLM flights via Amsterdam - means you pass through UK immigration whereever you land in Scotland rather than in London - and travelling through AMS is a piece of cake.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
7. Re: American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

Lots of airlines have gone through bankruptcy processes (reoganization). And kept flying. AA actually one of the last major carriers to do this. We're looking at an April-May international and domestic flight and right now AA looks to have the best price. We're not hesitating.

Flight schedules can, and do, change with any airline. A merger with US Airways is still iffy, and if it comes to pass would take a while to be approved and then implemented.

Edited: 5:34 am, December 11, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
reviews: 37
8. Re: American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

You will be fine, but since you intend on purchasing your tickets this early you should continue to check your flight details periodically as they tend to change somewhat as departure approaches due to tweaking of the schedule.

Mike in Tulsa

9. Re: American Airlines & British Airways - too risky to book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 18, 2013