We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clark Howard Air Fare Tip....

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 29
Clark Howard Air Fare Tip....

Clark Howard, CNN's cheapskate guru, said the other night on his show not to book flights til after January 7th as that's when the airlines have sales/ better prices. Unfortunately I missed the reasoning or if it is every airline. Thought someone on here may have the answer.

My daily airline price alert for my Bangor- Los Angeles for March is as low as it's ever been and wondering if it's worth the wait.

I really don't understand why one day it shows $429-return, then the next it comes in at $359....

australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: Clark Howard Air Fare Tip....

My daily airline price alert for my Bangor- Los Angeles for March is as low as it's ever been and wondering if it's worth the wait.

I really don't understand why one day it shows $429-return, then the next it comes in at $359....

------

is that on the actual airline website or just a link to a third party site trying to reel business in under false pretenses

Edited: 12:05 am, December 08, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: Clark Howard Air Fare Tip....

If 7 January was without doubt, completely and utterly certain to be a date when air fares would drop, there would be a huge decrease in bookings between now and then, except by those who must travel before that date.

Unless the talkative Mr Howard has the inside track with revenue management at half a dozen airlines, I'd say that date is an estimate only. Airlines may have Boxing Day sales that start on 23 December, 27 December, or sale fares may not appear until mid January.

Keep an eye on the airline's website. If fares drop in the next few days and your dates are firm then book and be happy to have done so.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
3. Re: Clark Howard Air Fare Tip....

There are usually sales at the begining of the year but not all airlines have them so if as you say the fare is the lowest it's been I would book now.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
4. Re: Clark Howard Air Fare Tip....

Flights are as cheap as they've ever been...to the places I want to go at least. $120 RT on many different dates in Jan/Feb to NYC. Usually $271 minimum. I wouldn't wait to Jan. 7...

Edmonton
reviews: 14
5. Re: Clark Howard Air Fare Tip....

It's not a hard and fast rule and not all airlines may work the same, but the general rule is that sales come out after major holidays. Jan. 7th is when kids go back to school and christmas vacation is over, so usually there are some great prices that come out. Still a hit and miss, but seems to happen every year after every major holiday. Of course if there is a route that is already very booked, that route may not go on sale. Really just a tip for things to watch for.

Moncton, Canada
reviews: 29
6. Re: Clark Howard Air Fare Tip....

Thank you for the replies. I use Kayak to search then go to the actual airline website to confirm.

For peace of mind I think I will grab them now. $359 is a good deal comparing them to my home city where they are $903... it's worth the 5 hour drive to save over a grand for 2 tickets.

7. Re: Clark Howard Air Fare Tip....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, December 17, 2013