We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport security screenings

Binghamton
reviews: 1
airport security screenings

I received a small monocular (small telescope) from my brother as a christmas gift. I am preparing for a trip down Puerto Rico to see him. I would like to know if I can safely place this item in a x-ray bin or should I show it to the TSA personnel myself and let them tell me if I can even bring it thru the system? Or do I pack it in my carry on and just show it if it triggers an alarm? It is a gift and was probably quite expensive and I really don't want them to confiscate it. My brother has told me that there should be no problem. The telescope can fit in the palm of the hand.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: airport security screenings

There should be no problem. Just like a camera is no problem.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: airport security screenings

Not sure why you are worried about this?

I can't imagine why there would be any problem.

I would take it in my carry on along with my camera ,phone,etc.

UK
reviews: 83
3. Re: airport security screenings

Or do I pack it in my carry on and just show it if it triggers an alarm

------

Why would it trigger an alarm? Put it in your carry on.

Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 3
4. Re: airport security screenings

I should just pack the telescope in your hand luggage. A telescope isn't going to set any alarms off. Belts do this :-) so don't worry and have a good trip. Sam

Houston, Texas
reviews: 171
5. Re: airport security screenings

My Father passed away recently, and left me his prized possession. A spotting scope from a WWII German Tank. 24"x12"x6" very large, with high powered optics. I carried it in a seperate case.

BUF to IAH. It took about 20 minutes to get it through Security, only because they all wanted to see it, and ask questions about it. Not for security reasons, but because they thought it was really cool. Bottom line, it went through without any issues.

London, United...
reviews: 22
6. Re: airport security screenings

Unless you are packing drugs, ammunitions, weapons or fluid in it, I suspect it shall be ok:))

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
7. Re: airport security screenings

But definitely put it in hand luggage -- do not put it in checked luggage!

I wouldn't even take it out of my carry on luggage -- a telescope does not have to go into a separate bin at security.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 243
8. Re: airport security screenings

I agree with the above post.

9. Re: airport security screenings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, December 17, 2013