We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

California
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
35 reviews
Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

I was hoping that someone that's a frequent flyer might be able to answer this, I'm thinking of buying a pair of high-end noise canceling head phones that I would use mostly for flying (make a huge difference) but I'm stuck between the Bose "QuietComfort 15" and the Beats by Dr. Dre "Studio" models. Both models have there pro's and con's and are the same price. Any real life experience with either of these models?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,407 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

I think Bose are good albeit a little overhyped but the Beatsaudio range is a different scale of that altogether!

UK
Level Contributor
47,733 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

Only used the Bose ( the ones they hand out on American not sure if it's that exact model) and very much like them. Can't compare them with anything else though.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

No experience with these as Sennheiser are my bag, however there is only one way you can truly decide and that is get down to a store and try them out.

By doing this you can tell if they are right for you in terms of how they sit on your head, the comfort factor and more importantly how they sound.

Here is a review link

…toptenreviews.com/

Edited: 4:08 pm, December 04, 2012
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
199 reviews
4. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

The Gadgets and Gear forum may be another good place to look

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel_G…

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

We have the Bose QuietComfort & like them. The others I'm not familiar with.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

Bose QuietComfort15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones are hands down my choice. Not cheap, but worth it for a frequent flyer.

Edited: 9:21 pm, December 04, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,588 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

I have the Bose QC15 and I'm very happy with them. They've helped me to many more hours sleep on flights than before (including in economy).

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
9,905 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

I would see if you can't borrow a pair for a flight before shelling out for them. Many people swear by active cancelling headphones. For me, they do the exact opposite of what I want. They filter out the white noise from the plane, and make the conversations around me even more distracting.

Personally, I ,much prefer in-ear passive isolating headphones. But they aren't for everybody either.

Edited: 9:51 pm, December 04, 2012
uk
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
256 reviews
9. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

I use and like the Bose for flying, and they're also brilliant for listening to films and music - given that several posts here say they work well for flying, I'd go for them unless you get posts saying the other ones are good - nothing worse than buying an alternative to Bose pair and finding they're not as good.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
139 reviews
10. Re: Noise canceling head phones for flying - Bose or Beats?

I would definitely try them out before you invest in anything expensive. I'm another person who can't get on with the active noise-cancelling headphones and find the in-ear isolating ones (I use Shure) much better on flights, although it can take a bit of trial and error to get fit right.