We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

bristol
reviews: 2
A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

We will be flying from London to Vancouver next May, for those of you that have flown can you please tell me in "YOUR Opinion which is the best Airline to go with for food, comfort service etc etc

We have flown to America with Virgin before and thought they are OK just wondering about the others. Thanks in advance!

Quebec City
reviews: 39
1. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

I imagine you will receive every possible recommendation there is. In my experience so much depends on what your expectations are for the flight. Two people will sit on the exact same flight, in the same category with the same service, and could have two very different opinions on the flight.

I can only give you my opinion, for what it's worth, but I can tell you I'm generally a very positive flyer. I flew economy from Montreal to London Heathrow on BA in 2007, return from Gatwick to Montreal on Thomas Cook. BA was obviously much higher quality. Meal was good, IFE on seat-back varied, FAs professional and friendly. Return on Thomas Cook was, well, a charter airline, meal was OK, only two movies shown on shared screens over the rows. But in both cases the most important: they got me to my destination, in one piece, and with all my luggage, on time.

My philosophy is buy the tickets for the flights that have a good schedule for you, at a price you find acceptable, and enjoy your flight!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

Although I've not flown that specific route I have flown UK to US/Canada with a lot carriers over the years and the destination is only really relevant in terms of which carriers serve that route.

Assuming you are in economy class the differences between carriers will in my view be minimal and if budget allowed I'd pick a direct non stop flight over a 1 or 2 stop routing.

This leaves you with either BA or Air Canada and I'd pick BA everytime.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

I'd pick AC over BA on that route, but it's much of a muchness.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
4. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

I've only flown recently with British Airways, to New York last year & Toronto this year. It was just ok both times, but I am used to flying with Emirates to Asia, which is a far better service in my opinion & why I rate BA as just OK.

UK
reviews: 84
5. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

We will be flying from London to Vancouver next May, for those of you that have flown can you please tell me in "YOUR Opinion which is the best Airline to go with for food, comfort service etc etc

--------

How does that work? How can someone who hasn't flown that route with multiple airlines over multiple occasions say which is the best ? And of course any one who is flying that route regularly would tend to stick to one airline for either company or personal preferences and so would not be able to compare :-)

In any case I believe only 3 airlines fly it direct so why not just ask if people prefer BA, AC or Virgin?

Personally I prefer* BA business or premium, and AC economy but I'd still fly BA economy for the miles. With BA or Virgin you would also get the benefit of EU261 protection.

* where "prefer" = enjoy more but not always = fly since the difference in economy wouldn't be enough to make me switch. I also prefer terminal 5 at Heathrow (BA) to 3 (AC or Virgin)

bristol
reviews: 2
6. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

Thanks for your responses

We will be flying direct, and am pretty sure it will be economy class. Opinions are what I am after. I have flown to Vegas and Orlando with Virgin and as I said, flights we Ok, although TV's didn't work they run out of food choices so a few glitches, we have not flown with anyone else to long haul before so can't compare.

Has anyone used Air Transit?

Keep the thoughts coming! Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
7. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

I've been flying YVR-LHR for more than 30 years, and have done so with more than half a dozen airlines, some of which no longer exist (we miss you, CAIL and Wardair).

These days it's BA rather than AC, but if necessary I'd certainly fly with our national carrier. One of the appeals of flying with BA is that the airline has a Premium Economy cabin, where I can use Miles to move to Club World when there is availability. If AC fitted a PE cabin on board their 777s I'd be more interested, can always use the Aeroplan points.

I've not flown tATL with Air Transat but friends have. It's decent enough in that you will depart and arrive safely, but there aren't the same bells and whistles available with AC, BA or VS.

I'm with joe, T5 is a much nicer experience than weary-as-hell LHR T3.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
8. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

"but there aren't the same bells and whistles available with AC, BA or VS."

There will be, and indeed in some ways it will be better. It all depends if you get one of the new cabins. I believe they are being rolled out on the Western routes first.

airtransat.ca/en/…

Edited: 4:19 pm, December 04, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 55
9. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

For me it would be a toss up between BA and AC based on price. I don't think there's that much of a difference otherwise. Add in that BA you have to pay to pick your seats and on AC you don't.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
10. Re: A question for those of you who have flown London-Canada

I used Air Canada on this route and the IFE was good, the food didn't run out, the toilets were clean and the service was perfectly good. A solid choice as I am sure BA is. As has been said, much of a muchness in economy.