We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest boarding numerical order question

Oklahoma City, OK
reviews: 1
Southwest boarding numerical order question

Haven’t flown SW in years. Did some google'ing so I don’t look like a idiot with their boarding process. I still do have one question though, do you line up in EXACT numerical order? Or are you just bunched with the group that falls into that set of numbers by the sign?

Thanks in advance.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: Southwest boarding numerical order question

You will have a letter (A, B, C, etc) on your boarding pass and also a number. They board in order, A1, A2, etc., so you line up in order. If you are B2, you are between B1 & B3.

Be sure to check in right at the 24 hour mark to get the lowest letter/number as possible.

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 24
2. Re: Southwest boarding numerical order question

Yes, EXACT numerical order. Others in line will tell you their number so you can fall in place.

Edited: 11:19 am, December 04, 2012
texas
reviews: 23
3. Re: Southwest boarding numerical order question

It is pretty well marked as far as I rememebr the few times I flew.

As far as where you should be appproximately and then others will tell you their numbers too.

Edited: 11:52 am, December 04, 2012
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
4. Re: Southwest boarding numerical order question

There are sign posts with numbers on them that let you know where to line up in EXACT numerical order.

San Diego...
5. Re: Southwest boarding numerical order question

The sign post are numbers in groups of 5. The first will have 1-5, the second 6-10, the third 11-15 and so on. When I first used the boarding process, I figured that 5 spots were granular enough (as opposed to 60 odd with the old process), but I was amused to see that people within the groups of 5 were comparing numbers to see just exactly where they should line up! :> It was all rather polite and a much better system than the old one as you didn't feel the need to get to the head of the old A,B,C lines about an hour before boarding.

Overall, the experience wasn't too bad.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 334
6. Re: Southwest boarding numerical order question

Yes, the markets list the groups. You then have to find where within that group to stand. Some people won't get in line until the end. And others will say they need assistance, have kids, etc. If you line up incorrectly, you will be sent to the Principal's office and your parents will be called. But you won't be fined, for a first offense. Once you get on the plane, you sit wherever you want (and can).

7. Re: Southwest boarding numerical order question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, December 17, 2013