We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelled and re-routed flight.

Lancs, England
reviews: 137
Cancelled and re-routed flight.

On Sunday we were due to fly American Airlines direct from Manchester England to New York. We checked in ok then an hour before we were due to fly the flight was cancelled. We were put on a flight to heathrow with BA then an American Airlines flight from heathrow to jfk. We arrived six and half hours late in New York meaning we missed all of our first night and a meal we had booked. Communication was awful. Everyone was on different flights and no one was around to keep people posted. No meal or drinks vouchers were given out either. Anyone any idea what we might be entitled to in compensation for such a difference in arrival time? Never told officially what the problem was. Someone said mechanical and someone else said an airport vehicle had hit and damaged the plane.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

This kind of thing is just going to happen when you travel. It's a pain, but certainly not the end of the world.

If a vehicle hit and damaged the plane, AA can claim this was a force majeure event as in "Any fact not reasonably foreseen, anticipated or predicted by American."

From their Contract of Carriage:

"American may, in the event of a force majeure event, without notice, cancel, terminate, divert, postpone or delay any flight or the right of carriage or reservation of traffic accommodations without liability except to issue an involuntary refund."

They do not state they will feed you if your flight is delayed:

"American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances."

IMO, you are not entitled to any compensation for this delay, according to AA's CoC. They fulfilled their obligation, which was to get to from Point A to Point B. You may read the CoC in full here:

https:/…Force

Edited: 6:08 pm, December 03, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

This is the second post of the day regarding AA and compensation.

It all depends on what the reason was for the cancellation. If not "extraordinary circumstances" then you may be able to claim compensation under EU261. However, if an airport vehicle had hit and damaged the plane that would probably count as extraordinary, in which no compensation would be payable. EU261 details below -

europa.eu/youreurope/…index_en.htm

Edited: 6:22 pm, December 03, 2012
Yorkshire
reviews: 6
3. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

As pointed out in numerous threads here, any airline CoC are superseded by the EU261 regulations. There are plenty of useful comments and links in this thread, for example:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k59414…

A question to be asked, what was the real reason for the delay. If it was an airport vehicle that hit the plane, it may be indeed interpreted as an event beyond airline control. If it was a mechanical problem, it may be a completely diferent story.

Edited: 6:28 pm, December 03, 2012
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
4. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

Hi,

Just thinking outside the box a bit..

Given the EU courts past ruling over what is and is not controllable events, I'd wonder if there's issue as to WHO did the hitting (if in fact it was a GSE-strike, that's Ground Service Equipment strike, the broader term that's used for these events)?

By that I mean if the driver, owner, operator of the vehicle or equipment that struck the aircraft, was the carriers, or their subcontractor would that change the dynamic or definition of extraordinary as opposed to a vehicle or equipment that wasn't the carriers, or that of a subcontractor?

I can see a case made for it not being extra-ordinary if it was the carriers own equipment, personnel or a contractor, and I can see a very different case if it wasn't.

Travel Safe,

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

"Anyone any idea what we might be entitled to in compensation for such a difference in arrival time?"

As others noted, it depends on the reason for the cancellation. If you intend to pursue this, your first step should be to ask AA to provide it. Also, unless you are prepared to devote a substantial amount of time on this and ultimately take this to court, you should seriously consider whether it's even worth the hassle to file a claim since that is likely what it will take to get a result.

Of course, cash compensation under EU regulations is not the only option. AA might choose to offer something of their own accord as a goodwill gesture.

Edited: 7:14 pm, December 03, 2012
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
6. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

"As pointed out in numerous threads here, any airline CoC are superseded by the EU261 regulations..."

Not if pursuit of remedy is out of the jurisdiction of the EU. The question remains, how far is the average person willing to go for a few hundred dollars? You have to chase them to prove you deserve it and then chase them to pay you. It is a bad law. Bad for everybody.

Yorkshire
7. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

"Not if pursuit of remedy is out of the jurisdiction of the EU. "

Why is it out of the jurisdiction of the EU? It would be only if the airline wound up all its operations within the EU.

"It is a bad law."

Why? I personally do not think so. However, whatever we think of it, it is a law which the airline has accepted commitment to abide to.

Yorkshire
8. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

"I can see a case made for it not being extra-ordinary if it was the carriers own equipment, personnel or a contractor, and I can see a very different case if it wasn't."

Gopbi, you are making a very interesting point. Actually, would the airport be deemed a subcontractor of the airline for this purpose, with all its personnel and equipment?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

>> Why is it out of the jurisdiction of the EU? <<

I think what Geo means is that the pursuit of remedy is within the EU. Us Americans often use the term "out of" differently. My company is "based out of Portland", meaning its base is IN Portland!

>> It is a bad law. .... Why? <<

I actually think the original law, which had compensation only for IDB, IDG and cancellations (of the short notice withdrawal of service type) was ok. But delayed flight comp, supposedly to be extended to cover delays of less than 3 hours where that causes a misconnect, will make Europe an uneconomic and uncompetitive place to have flight hubs.

The real winners here are the likes of Emirates, who can get pax from the Americas to south & central Asia without having to touch the EU and its over-regulation and compensation culture. Cheaper flights, short convenient connections without the threat of 600 Euros per passenger hanging over them.

Edited: 8:15 pm, December 03, 2012
Indian River...
reviews: 2
10. Re: Cancelled and re-routed flight.

I don't understand why everyone feels they need to be compensated for every little thing. We have turned into this culture where if everything doen't go as planned we expect someone to make it up to us.

Six and a half hours is not really that extraordinary of a delay. I have sat in many an airport because of weather delays and did not expect anything. Yes, it is a pain but whatever.

Last month my daughter and I missed a connection with American because out first flight was delayed. We got into O'Hare 20 minutes late and by time we made it to the next terminal and our gate they had just closed the door 10 minutes prior to take off so we were not able to get on. There were still 2 flights later that day and they were able to get us on the second one. So we spent the next 5 hours at the airport, did a little shopping and had a Margarita. We arrived at our destination late evening and missed our dinner we had planned out also. (and it was only a 3 day trip, so only one more night out and then left on the 3rd day.) We never complained and just said, "Oh well". What are you going to do. No sense in dwelling on it. We had a great time anyway.