We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last-minute international flight deals

Boston...
reviews: 1
last-minute international flight deals

Fellow Travelers,

Is there such a thing as last-minute airfare deals? I don't have a specific destination in mind, but a home airport (say JFK) and a passport ready to go if the price is irresistible. But I couldn't find something like an alert service that would let me know that, for instance, there's a great deal on a flight to Japan tomorrow. I figured airlines would be interested in filling out the empty seats on some of their flights, but perhaps I am mistaken?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: last-minute international flight deals

In my experience the days of last minute bargains are largely gone but kayak has an explore function showing fares from a given airport e.g. NYC and the fares for a given month e.g. Dec 2012 etc.

http://www.kayak.co.uk/explore/

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
2. Re: last-minute international flight deals

I figured airlines would be interested in filling out the empty seats on some of their flights, but perhaps I am mistaken?

I agree that last minute bargains no longer exist. Planes are flying pretty full, and for most flights, there are standby passengers waiting.

UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: last-minute international flight deals

Is there such a thing as last-minute airfare deals

---------

Absolutely. The deal is that you pay the airline maximum price.

They worked out 20 years ago that by selling last minute vacant seats at low prices they were training their customers not to pay until the last minute.

Now they would rather fly with some empty seats than devalue the apparent value of all seats by last minute huge reductions.

Plus they are flying planes much busier than they used to be, they manage the loads throughout the months before the flight with price adjustment rather than in the last two hours by slashing them to nothing.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: last-minute international flight deals

< Is there such a thing as last-minute airfare deals? >

Yes it's called paying the full price - airlines argue that someone needing to book at the last minute generally has a VERY good reason to do so and so is willing to pay any price.

In any case, since 2008 most aircraft fly pretty much full - with legacy airlines they deliberately overbook knowing that some people will cancel / change their plans / turn up too late / not bother to fly and their software to calculate the level of overbooking allowable is extremely good.

5. Re: last-minute international flight deals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 17, 2013