We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

sydney
reviews: 75
Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

A question for the stitchers ....

I'm flying Sydney to Singapore on Qantas and then Singapore to Frankfurt on Lufthansa in a couple of weeks. Luggage is checked through to Frankfurt.

Seems I can take knitting needles (and wool) to pass the time on the Qantas leg but a 1.5" emboidery needle is still a no-no. I can't find anything specific on the Lufthansa site.

Can anyone share any experiences with this ... previous posts on this topic are from before knitting needles got the OK and I don't understand the logic behind it. I'm even prepared to pre-cut my threads to avoid having to take scissors (which btw Lufthansa says I can have but Qantas says I can't)

Would I get my needle through in one of those little sewing kids so beloved of hotels?

Gee I wish there was some consistency

cheers

helen

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

My wife enjoys embroidery on long haul flights and she's never had an issue with a needle and pre cut threads on long haul flights with US carriers.

I know that pointed and sharp items (e.g. scissors) are prohibited on LH but I can't see you having a problem with an embroidery needle - the worst they could do is to take it off you.

lufthansa.com/uk/en/Carry-on-baggage#ancAbT9

sydney
2. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

Thanks Tom,

that was the LH site I checked - elsewhere they give dimensions of permitted scissors (less than 5cm measured from the fulcrum so mine would actually pass) They mention sharp things "likely to cause injury" but nothing specific about sewing stuff. The worst I could do is stab my own finger and getblood on my sewing.

We only have 90min in Singapore so I won't even have the opportunity to go searching for a needle to stitch on the longer LH leg.

I'd hate for the Sydney security plods (who once took a bright yellow banana shaped water pistol from my daughter) to think I might stab someone with an emboridery needle but am inclined to give it a try. Who knows I could be lucky.

cheers

helen

South Pole
reviews: 39
3. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

how would they even pick up a 1.5inch needle in your carryon?

isn't that about the same as a brooch or badge pin in a jacket?

never seen problems with those.

South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

helen, i have just checked my usual carryon bag. i have had one of those hotel sewing kits in there for what must be a decade tucked away unopened in some corner.

it has sewing needles in it.

has been thru 100s of security check points without 'discovery'.

sydney
5. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

excellent lien, thanks ... just what I wanted to hear! (and I never even thought about brooch pins)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
6. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

I always think these restrictions are so silly- you could do a lot of damage with a well wielded biro which no one bats an eyelid at. And the little scissors I use for sewing which would pass using the criteria you state- I would not like to be attacked by some maniac with them. Just sayin'.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
7. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

At the end of the day it's who you find at security, I also had one of those sewing kits that hotels give you, I must have had it for years in my trolley as I didn't even know it was there and goodness knows how many security checks it had been through, then this year in Zurich they searched the trolley after it had gone through the conveyer belt and confiscated it.

kentucky
reviews: 38
8. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

Biro?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
9. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

Biro is British for ball-point pen. The first syllable is pronounced like buy.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 206
10. Re: Knitting needles are OK but embroidery needles are not??

<<it's who you find at security>>

That is certainly true for me. I find no consistency in airports with the exception of Baltimore where they paw through your bags and assault your person before you can pass through security on a regular basis. After passing TSA I always tell my husband I think I need to file a police report because hands have been in places where hands (other than my own) should never be.

It just boils down to who is working and what type of mood that person is in. I have, on several occasions, actually brought a full bottle of water onto a plane in my carry-on. I always travel with water, and occasionally I don't remove it because I forget it is there. I have also taken scissors accidentally, and once I had a small Swiss Army knife. None of those things attracted any attention. But, a couple of years ago I had a tiny pair of nail clippers with a little 1 and 1/2" nail file, and the only way they would let me through screening with it was if I broke off the nail file. I have also been forced to give up the sewing kit from the hotel.

I think it is all about the exercise of authority, and no one can really predict what these people will do. You just have to accept whatever they say because life can become very unpleasant if you create any type of a fuss.