We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

hn
What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

UA doesn't seem to know, per my calls.

australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

"Fare Break" is more than likely what others call "open jaw ticketing"....fly into one port and fly out of another port, all travel is booked on the same ticket not as separate tickets.

Edited: 10:50 pm, November 29, 2012
australia
2. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

then again I could be wrong but I am sure someone will correct me.....not up on American speak

hn
3. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

I gave up after 50 minutes.

australia
4. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

Tickets are normally built as "city pairs" A to B and back to A.

A "fare break" to me is splitting the pair up

A city pair can consist of multiple legs and sectors as well, so you can "break" in between giving you a "stopover", same origin and destination but alter the travelling dates, splitting the revenue.

Edited: 11:03 pm, November 29, 2012
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
5. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-…

I am not sure in what contex you are using this phrase. Perhaps you could be more specific if the thread above does not have the information you are seeking.

Edited: 11:08 pm, November 29, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

Well I Googled and came upon this from AA.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

It appears (to me but I'm not an expert) to be a point at which you can force the pricing of a ticket (hopefully) for the purpose of getting a better fare.

Here's an example of an itinerary where my company agent tried lots of pricing options -

PDX-(via SEA-FRA)-DEL, BLR-(via FRA-SFO)-PDX

By applying a break at FRA (she said "let's try breaking it there") on both the outbound and return, she constructed a fare out of a round trip PDX-FRA and an open jaw FRA-DEL/BLR-FRA. All the flights were still on one ticket, issued by United but apart from the domestic legs all flights were on LH. It was if I recall about $400 less than priced as a PDX-FRA round trip.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 242
7. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

Very informative.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
8. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

I flew PEK-SFO-IAH. I could have paid $350 more for a through W fare, or I could fly Q, break the fare in SFO and continue in Q to IAH. Two Q's broken in SFO were cheaper than a through W.

That's my interpretation.

hn
9. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

Thanks all.

Gracie, the terminology is from both AA's and UA's rules and restrictions sections.

On my last call, the UA guy had never heard of it, thought it wasn't a UA term, didn't know how to spell it, didn't know how to look up UA's rules, and said he didn't have access to that part of UA's website.

After much consultation with unknown entities, he said fares can change from day to day, depending on circumstances,.... No kidding. Very enlightening.

I'll try for a supervisor next time I have time and patience to spare.

australia
10. Re: What is a "fare break" in UA terminology?

"and said he didn't have access to that part of UA's website. "

not surprised I had to go through hoops to get to it or was that AA's site.

if he didn't know I would say UA need better hiring/training policies. There are plenty of unemployed people with brains out there who do have the ability to answer a phone without prior call centre experience

Edited: 2:41 am, December 01, 2012