We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark to JFK

arizona,usa
reviews: 13
Newark to JFK

What is the best way to get from Newark airport to JFK and how long does it take?

Atlanta, Georgia
1. Re: Newark to JFK

If you can't avoid doing this, probably the easiest will be to take the PATH (? Not sure I brought my memory with me today) train to New York's Penn Station. From there you can take a LIRR train that connects to the Airtrain to your JFK terminal.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: Newark to JFK

I'd want to leave myself about 2hrs. for this transfer just to make sure I made all the connections if I went by train.

Even if you went into NYC by train and then took a taxi from there to JFK it would take a while because traffic can be terrible!

It is a real pain and IF you can do your trip another way I'd suggest switching to stay at Newark.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
3. Re: Newark to JFK

Time of day and day of week make a difference, to some extent. Also, whether "best" to you means "cheapest".

I've done this twice in the past couple years, both times opting for a car service (Dial 7) versus the multiple transfers via public transportation.

Either way, allow 2 hours between landing at EWR and arriving at JFK.

norfolk
reviews: 30
4. Re: Newark to JFK

2 hours only really works in an ideal world. assuming you have discounted the obvious [and eye-wateringly expensive] taxi or limo service, the most efficient way is airtrain to the new jersey transit, new jersey transit to penn station [new york city] then long island light railway to connect to the jfk airtrain at jamaica.

if you are flying into ewr from within the usa, expect to wait up to 30 minutes for your baggage [if any]. five minutes to the airtrain which runs every few minutes. 5 minutes on the airtrain to the njt. njt into nyc runs around every 30 minutes and takes around 45 minutes to complete the journey. lilr from nyc penn station takes around 35 minutes to jamaica, then the airtrain up to a further 15 minutes depending on terminal. DO NOTE: there is a station in new jersey also called penn station. do not get off here by mistake!

if your flight from jfk is international, most airlines advise arriving at the airport 3 hours before your flight. so, you need 6 hours between your flights to be sure.

pam

Edited: 6:59 am, November 30, 2012
Maryland
Destination Expert
5. Re: Newark to JFK

"the most efficient way is airtrain to the new jersey transit, new jersey transit to penn station [new york city] then long island light railway to connect to the jfk airtrain at jamaica."

"efficient"? :)

It's definitely cheaper. But I can't see how taking 4 modes of transport is more efficient than hopping in a car and getting out at the destination. :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
6. Re: Newark to JFK

I think that the point about transit was that you avoid being stuck in traffic so IF you make all your connections it might even be faster??

There is no really great way to do this transfer.

My 2hr. time frame above was ONLY for the transfer itself and did not take into account the time you need to be at JFK before the international flight.

Of course that would have to be added into the mix!

The BEST way to do this would probably be if you arrive by noon in EWR and then had an evening flight out of JFK.

Maryland
Destination Expert
7. Re: Newark to JFK

"My 2hr. time frame above was ONLY for the transfer itself and did not take into account the time you need to be at JFK before the international flight."

Same here, in case anyone misunderstood my post. No way would I advocate for a 2 hour connection time between Newark and JFK!

Last time I did the trip (via Dial 7) was on a mid-day weekday and between waiting a few minutes for bags, waiting for the driver to find us for 5-10 minutes, and sitting in some serious traffic along the way, it was just over 90 minutes to get to JFK.

uk
reviews: 164
8. Re: Newark to JFK

Last week it took us almost an hour to get from JFk to Manhattan, and then from Manhattan to JFK.... and before that on a side tript, it took 45 minutes to drive from Manhattan to driving past Newwark.

As others have said, if you go by car/taxi you should allow 2 hours just for the journey time between the two airports.

If you're lucky it might take less. But plan for roads to be busy.

Edited: 12:13 pm, November 30, 2012
Maryland
Destination Expert
9. Re: Newark to JFK

"Last week it took us almost an hour to get from JFk to Manhattan, and then from Manhattan to JFK.... and before that on a side tript, it took 45 minutes to drive from Manhattan to driving past Newwark."

All well and good, but you wouldn't go through Manhattan at all if you were driving from Newark to JFK. usually.

10. Re: Newark to JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, December 17, 2013