We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
34 reviews
Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240390/Anger-R…

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
1 review
1. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

"But the OFT insisted: ‘We have not required any airline to introduce new payment charges, increase their credit card charges or scrap any discounts they wish to offer.’"

This is absolutely true. Despite all of the smoke and mirrors on Ryanair's behalf, there is *nothing* to prevent them from offering a £6 discount per person when paying with whatever method they want to discount - including the Ryanair Cash Passport.

Oh wait. Of course. It would make the headline price look higher and Ryanair would not look as cheap.

Edited: 11:21 am, November 29, 2012
UK
Level Contributor
47,740 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

Yet another publicity stunt as they shift costs around but come to the same result in the end.

If they impose a £6 website admin fee on everyone (which is what they are doing) , why not a £2 fee for their heating and lighting costs, a £1.50 fee for staff pensions, and a 50p headquarters toilet roll expenditure fee.

These are all the normal costs of running a business, so they have simply decided to dress up a £6 price hike for everyone under the guise of the OFT not letting them discriminate against customers, and so saying "well OFT its your fault" when in fact most customers likely paid this fee anyway and all they have dome is change its name.

So, in reality, its as simple as any Ryanair fare you now have to add on £6 to determine its actual cost. I suspect half their customers will have trouble doing that.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
11,372 posts
268 reviews
3. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

Still not sure-OK everyone will pay the £6 "admin fee" and a credit card will attract a 2% surcharge but it would appear that debit cards avoid the 2%??

Which ever way the airline plays around with the makeup of the fare it is the bottom line that people will use to compare the final price with the competition.

UK
Level Contributor
47,740 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

"Which ever way the airline plays around with the makeup of the fare it is the bottom line that people <<who don't dumbly look at the headline price >> will use to compare the final price with the competition."

There, fixed that for ya :-)

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

Hi

I just wish the OFT would leave these companies alone, thanks to them ruffling the airlines feathers and attempting to impose extra rules on them all of us lose out. Easyjet are getting an extra £9 off me and now Ryanair £12 (I'm assuming per head means per head per flight!)

And if you don't think this was going to be the obvious outcome of the OFT's meddling see my posts from a few months ago.

Jackie

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
16,751 posts
1,274 reviews
6. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

It;s not OFT meddling that has caused this.

The low costs airline were disguising charges and the less knowledgeable people overpaying. Now we are getting a truer, actual cost.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

Hi

It is OFT meddling. I do not care if other people did not take advantage of the methods with which you could get lower fares. No more than I care if someone pays more for bread in Waitrose than someone else in Lidl. Now we can no longer get the bargains which were available to everyone.

I only ever paid the headline price like thousands of others and if another passenger paid more then it's their hard luck.

Jackie

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

"Easyjet are getting an extra £9 off me and now Ryanair £12 (I'm assuming per head means per head per flight!)"

This discussion repeats itself in every thread about admin fees/card charges. The bottom line is that nobody decides how much companies like easyJet and Ryanair charge for tickets other than easyJet and Ryanair. If you are unhappy that they've increased prices for everyone you should blame them. It's simply irrational to blame the OFT for something they have no say over.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

Hi Lex

We are never going to agree on this one. I can only see it from the aspect of my bank account. And I am tight fisted!

Take care

Jackie

Seahouses, United...
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
1 review
10. Re: Ryanair charges new from tomorrow

Oh dear, Ryanair are going to have to obey the rules and some will suffer. Tough. If you choose to fly with such an airline then expect them to suck you dry.Of course it is not just the £6 you have to pay but a 2% surcharge as well..adding up to another £4 0r £5 each.

Of course it is not the fault of the OFT and to say so is absolute rubbish. Ryanair are blaming them to try and shift the blame and you actually believe them? O'Leary is a past master at these games and passes the buck whenever possible and some mugs think he is trying to help passengers. He will be rubbing his hands at getting extra income and will be thanking the oFT

I also admire Ryanair for introducing a website only method of booking and check-in free of caharge..and then introducing a fee for using it. Brilliant..

Edited: 12:32 pm, November 29, 2012