We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Eagle 44 seater?

Texas
reviews: 44
American Eagle 44 seater?

Who has experience flying on these? We are going DFW to Durango, CO (La Platta?) and these are the only jets they offer for that route - a direct, 2 hr non-stop flight.

Not a fan of flying in general, but have gotten some feedback that is not making me feel comfy. If you've flown this exact route, how was it, especially as you approach the mountains?

Really, I'm just looking for some realistic expectations. I've already gotten my xanax script.

Thanks!

UK
reviews: 85
1. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

Who has experience flying on these?

======

Hopefully the pilots.

Texas
2. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

Indeed!

Dallas
reviews: 6
3. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

I've flown on them and they are not bad at all. If you're used to the bigger planes, it's a little odd at first but you will be fine.

4. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, November 26, 2012
UK
reviews: 85
5. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

Really, I'm just looking for some realistic expectations. I've already gotten my xanax script.

===========

Thinking about it, whats the issue? I've flown in little jet planes, roughly this sort of size, (the ones with one row down one side and 2 down the other, couldn't say the exact model) They go up, they go along, they come down, just like big ones. They have wings, engines, the pilots learn how to fly them before getting in, all that stuff.

Seriously, why do you feel you need to dose yourself up? They don't fly upside down, do loop the loops, buzz the runway on landing. What exactly are you worried about or expecting?

Your "realistic expectation" would be that its smaller inside. If you suffer from claustrophobia I could imagine it might be less comfortable than a big plane, other than that, there is no difference.

Edited: 2:26 pm, November 26, 2012
Texas
6. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

Thank you, Texan :)

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
7. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

Hi,

Not the exact route but I have flown in those planes. Cosy, intimate, seats seems just a tad smaller overall. I guess you will get served a drink for a 2 hr flight.

Now, it is noisier- so maybe you should have earplugs or headset/music after takeoff. If there is turbulence, it will be more noticeable. But planes will stay intact and move through this without much problem !! Your feelings are much worse than the situations, but I understand it. I have same reservations, but these don't scare me like the old turboprops.

There must be days where it's clear and calm over the mountains, on your flying day, maybe..

Texas
8. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

Thanks ama...did not consider the noise, good info. I have flown only on large 747 types, except for once, in my youth, on my Uncle's King Air 10 seater. That flight nearly swore me off flying forever...so when I think "small plane" my limited experience is not good.

We are excited to see family in CO and go skiing...I know it will be fine, but it's always nice to get a little information ahead of time so that I'm prepared and I can explain the differences of the plane/flight to my kiddos, who are flying with us.

Cheers!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 761
9. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

Confetti, I'm not a good flyer but have to fly small turbo-prop and jets (70-ish passengers) several times a year, although nothing quite as small as what you're referring to. I've gotten used to them now, but overall they are noisier and yes can be a bit bumpier.

I've not flown your route but you will probably feel some turbulence going over mountains. That's part of being in a smaller plane. I think it wil be much more comfortable than your uncle's puddle-jumper, though!

Joe (whilst making a very funny comment in post #1, LOL) , is not being very charitable with his comments about "dosing yourself up". If you are a nervous flyer, then by all means Xanax will help take that edge off. It does not make most people drowsy, just gets rid of that "panicky" feeling that some people have. Don't mix with alcohol, though.

Have a good flight and fun trip :-)

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
reviews: 62
10. Re: American Eagle 44 seater?

I fly these all the time out of CRP to DFW. The information you have been given is accurate. You will be on an Embraer ERJ 140. The cabin will be very cramped but not awful, especially for a 2 hour flight. You will get a noisy whirr from outside so bring something like noise cancelling headphones or at least ear plugs if that is an issue. You will feel a bit more turbulence at times but at altitude things are as smooth as any other flight generally speaking. Main issues would be claustrophobia and noise if those trouble you, turbulence not so much... Enjoy your flight.