We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Clubworld then AA baggage question

Edinburgh, United...
BA Clubworld then AA baggage question

Hi there - my wife and I fly next July Clubworld from Edinburgh via Heathrow to Miami - I am looking in to booking a short flight 4 hours plus after our arrival into MIA with AA up to TPA. Question is this - I will have golf clubs with me which will obviously come free under my BA allowance but as I'm having difficulty tagging on the AA one way leg ( it was an afterthought ) and may have to end up going directly to AA - is there any way at all BA can book this on my behalf and add it to my itinerary ? I suppose the AA extra baggage fees ( on the outward journey to the States I'm pretty sure the Missus will only have the one bag as will I - not including the sticks of course ! ) are not going to be a deal breaker for me....but as usual if I can save a few quid.....We are returning from TPA with BA so wont have the isue on the way home...

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 192
1. Re: BA Clubworld then AA baggage question

If your BA to MIA is already booked I don't see that you can actually add on the additional ticket to TPA. However, what you might TRY to do is to to get the checkin agent to check your bags all the way to TPA. Yes, you will need to clear for customs in MIA, but if your bags are tagged to TPA you just send them forward after customs. I don't know the routings but if you can do MIA-TPA on AA that keeps you all in OneWorld so that ought to help.

Good luck.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
2. Re: BA Clubworld then AA baggage question

Your first port of call should be to contact BA to see if you can change your flight booking to include the MIA to TPA leg and what costs will be involved.

BA do of course fly direct to TPA but from Gatwick - you might of course need to pay change fees and fare difference costs if you change your current booking.

If that's not an option and you book a seperate MIA - TPA flight with AA you might be able to get the bags tagged to TPA as BA/AA have an interline agreement but the greater risk in my view is missing the MIA - TPA flight.

Whilst 4 hrs would normally be ok for an international to domestic connection there is a chance that the schedule for your LHR to MIA flight could change before July 2013 which could significantly reduce the connection window - if you were to miss the MIA - TPA flight for any reason you'd simply be classed as a no show as it's an unprotected seperately ticketed flight.

Edinburgh, United...
3. Re: BA Clubworld then AA baggage question

Thanks for the replies folks - should've said, the Clubworld seats were booked using Avios....so couldnt get direct to Tampa on outbound and to change booking now would I presume be no guarantee of securing what I presently have !!

My destination is Bradenton - around a 45 minute drive from TPA and although as of now, all I have is a confirmed hire car rental ( £50 deposit paid ) picking up at MIA and possibly , as was my first thoughts, driving the 200-odd miles - I'm inclined towards flying and then changing my car rental booking ( with Alamo and not Avis / BA ) to a TPA pick up. Do you think it advisable to wait until next Spring / early summer before committing to the AA flight ? For reference, its only £60 or so each to fly AA from MIA to TPA if I book now.....?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
4. Re: BA Clubworld then AA baggage question

Taking everything into account I think I'd go with the car rental option and drive from MIA to Bradenton - there is no risk with this option.

Buying a MIA - TPA flight now might be cheap but it's unprotected so you could lose out in the event of a schedule change.

Buying a MIA - TPA flight later might resolve the schedule change issue but is likely to be more expensive.

Although you are looking at a 4 hr drive this is offset by the time waiting in MIA to catch the TPA flight.

Car rental is more secure and less stressful in my view - I've driven that route from MIA before and it's straightforward.

Edinburgh, United...
5. Re: BA Clubworld then AA baggage question

Tom - very many thanks for your assistance....it was indeed my first choice.....I'm not overly phased with the drive - we drive thousands of miles each year in the U.S......I'd rather just get on with it if I'm honest !!

6. Re: BA Clubworld then AA baggage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 17, 2013