We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

Rio de Janeiro, Rio...
reviews: 12
Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

Posting a lesson learned so that someone else doesn't get shocked by this. You must have the credit card used to purchase the tickets with you when you check in.

I purchased my Vietnam Airlines tickets online using a credit card. About a week later it was necessary to close the account I used due to theft (nothing to do with Vietnam Airlines). Capital One issued me a new credit card with no problem. When I went to fly out of Hanoi to Bangkok I produced my passport, the receipt from online, and the e-ticket that had been emailed to me. The clerk asked for the credit card used to make the purchase. Obviously, since it had been cancelled I didn't have it, only the new one. I was refused boarding, and had to purchase a new ticket in order to travel to Bangkok.

After purchasing a new ticket, I was given an email address and told to email them and request for a refund. I emailed and was refunded the money in 14 days.

Thanks,

-J

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the heads up.

And glad that Vietnam Airlines appear to have acted promptly re the refund.

As an FYI, there are other airlines that require you to present the CC used to purchase the ticket. Thai Airways have the same rule and ime they DO enforce it.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

When this happens you need to call the airline and inform them of the change in card number. They will make a note on your booking and you shouldn't have a problem. As a back up, you can bring an old bill with you that has the old number on it. Especially good is the one with the ticket purchase on it!

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 138
3. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

Thanks for the heads-up, and good to know that the airline refunded you promptly.

This reminded me that some of my upcoming flights have been booked with an old card, also cancelled and replaced with a new number due to fraud. Although I'm not flying Vietnam Airlines, I will make sure I'm prepared in case this happens. Thanks.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
4. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

SQ also want to see the card when you check-in.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
5. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

Emirates and Qatar Airways also want to see the card when you check in for first sector.

Latina, Italy
6. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

Dumb question: WHY do they want to see your credit card?

Brisbane Aus
reviews: 129
7. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

We also had a similar problem and had to buy new tickets. The staff at the counter were really good and we also received our refund very quickly.

It was a lesson learnt and in future if we have to cancel cards (ours were cancelled due to cc fraud overseas) I will keep the old one somewhere in my purse as backup as the airlines only want to sight it.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
8. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

Airlines want to avoid fraud!!

Latina, Italy
9. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

But they've already got their money haven't they? Why do they want to see it?

Does this mean that I can't buy an airline ticket for our daughter with my cc?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
10. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Take Note Please

"But they've already got their money haven't they? Why do they want to see it?"

To check that you didn't buy your ticket with stolen creditcard details. Yeah, they have the money but if the ticket was purchased illegally there's every chance the charge will be disputed at a later stage.

If you buy a ticket for someone else, it's a good idea to check in advance with the airline or make sure whomever is travelling carries a photocopy of your card. I was asked for my card the last time I did airport check-in with BA. My card had expired but I had kept it on me for that very reason.

Edited: 9:07 am, November 26, 2012
Get answers to your questions