We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to purchase?

Denver, CO
reviews: 7
When to purchase?

I am hoping to fly from Denver Colorado to London with my husband and daughter at the end of March 2013 for a stay of about a week. Right now economy fares are around $1100-1200 round trip. Are these likely to up or down in the next couple of months, or is it impossible to say? Thank you!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
1. Re: When to purchase?

This is about one of the most asked questions in this forum and one of the most difficult to give a complete/correct answer to.

Flights tend to be more expensive the closer you get to departure date - cheaper fare buckets get sold out - unless an airline has a sale.

Icelandair have flights from USD 875 via KEF.

Use http://www.skyscanner.net/ and/or http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ to find cheapest flights.

UK
reviews: 81
2. Re: When to purchase?

<<Are these likely to go up or down in the next couple of months>>

Yes.

<< or is it impossible to say?>>

Nope, its possible to say that they may go up or down in the next couple of months

However, if I were you I'd wait for the next BA sale, which is normally matched by American and Virgin amongst others. My reasoning is that you are going at a reasonable low time of year for UK travel so sales will likely effect it as and when they happen, and again because of the time of year, flights wont be selling out any time yet. BA often have sales starting just before or just after Christmas. I'd be looking to book by mid January if there is no sale.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: When to purchase?

The end of March is Easter this year and generally that is a busy time for USA families to travel as many children are off from school. The prices you are seeing are typical for travel these days. IF there is going to be a sale then it will usually occur 1 season before travel so in winter for spring flights.

There is no harm in waiting until some time in December to book.

Keep watching the airfare as NO one can really predict prices.

Denver, CO
4. Re: When to purchase?

Thank you all! I'll keep watching and buy the tickets in January unless there's a sale around Christmas. I forgot all about Easter -- that might also explain why some budget hotels are already sold out for that week!

UK
reviews: 81
5. Re: When to purchase?

The end of March is Easter this year and generally that is a busy time

====

Ah, I'd missed that when I said that March was a quiet time in London ! I would certainly book as soon as any sale starts.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
6. Re: When to purchase?

@khoffDenver I'd certainly book the hotel right now! Don't wait until you buy your air tix. Book something that you can cancel if you need to change the dates.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
7. Re: When to purchase?

I think I'd start looking now, as it's Easter I don't think flights are likely to get cheaper in January, start checking the matrix or another price comparison websites and book as soon as you're happy with the price.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
8. Re: When to purchase?

I agree with booking now. That is a busy time of year. It would be illogical to expect any sales. They don't have to lower the price to get people to fly, so they won't.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
9. Re: When to purchase?

Don't know if you have any flexibility with dates but a search on kayak found a BA fare of $944 (Out on 18 March - Direct Den to LHR and Return on 26 March LHr to Den with a 1 stop in DFW) and the quote was from BA.com rather than a dodgy 3rd party site..

I'd consider that a reasonable fare for that route and it might be available on other dates.

Denver, CO
10. Re: When to purchase?

So, in looking at airfares, I see that I can book nonstop flights on British airways for $1,170.49 per person round trip, or I can book the exact same flights, operated by British Airways, for $1,123 per person if I book it through Iberia. How can Iberia sell British Airways flights cheaper than British Airways can? Would there be any disadvantage to booking the cheaper way?

Edited: 11:23 pm, December 01, 2012