We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

Mpls MN
Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

Hey! I'm going from Stockholm to Amsterdam to Minneapolis and am planning on bringing meat on the plane to be eaten there and not brought into the US (but will be brought into Holland). Will this be a problem? It looks like meat can be brought from one EU country to another, but not *into* the US.

When connecting in Amsterdam, do I go through security again? I haven't flown in a few years and just can't remember. Just thinking about the liquid restrictions (if I should avoid buying large amounts in Stockholm) and the meat which I will transfer onto the next flight. But as far as the meat's concerned, it's only an issue at US customs, correct? I can bring whatever meat onto the plan as long as I finish or discard before entering the US?

1. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:54 pm, November 25, 2012
Edited: 12:54 pm, November 25, 2012
Mpls MN
2. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

No, no bbq:).

A bag of sliced salami and a few meat sticks.

Chunks of cheese are considered liquid right?

Latina, Italy
3. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

I didn't know that. How can they say a chunk of anything is liquid? It's a contradiction in terms.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
4. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

Wow! Of all the meat to choose salami is the one that will have the most pungent odor for your seatmates. Why would cheese be considered a liquid??? Are you sure you need to bring food like that on a transatlantic flight?

I have taken a sandwich with turkey and cheese on a domestic USA flight because they don't really serve anything but you have more choices going across the ocean so I don't bring anything on those sorts of flights.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
5. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

Sometimes when you land in the US they have beagles ( on a leash) roaming the luggage area. Some sniff for drugs and others are sniffing for products i.e. meat that you can't bring in. I remember one time the dog sat by someone's carryon. There was NO meat BUT there had been. The agent with the dog, visually checked the bag, saw nothing and all was fine. I am not saying this would happen to you and I am not saying don't bring a sandwich. I AM saying do not flip out if this does happen. BTW I agree with Riff M. --salami is a very pungent meat!

6. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, November 29, 2012
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
7. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

"not americans who are accustomed to only watery ham or bologna!!;)"

I just love prejudicial stereotypes. Just wants to make you jump right in and help! BTW I don't eat ham, and while I dislike salami--I was the only one in my household who did. I am a fan of very spicy, very flavorful foods--but that doesn't mean I would bring them on the plane.

Yet, if that is all your child eats....I do wonder what will happen when you arrive in your new home and the same type of salami may not be available.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 70
8. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

I frequently fly through AMS with cheese in my carry on,no problems. You will have security at the gate there

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
9. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

Yes, yo respond to the actual question... You aren't going into Holland. You will be fine, but you will have to eat or dispose of it on the plane before you get to the US.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 33
10. Re: Bringing meat to eat on plane, connecting flight/security

Actually when the liquid ban first came about, I got stopped at BKK for bring some cheese with me and some other passengers were being stopped for chocolate. Reason being like the OP mentioned that it was made of liquid. Being in Bangkok we took the chocolate and cheese out crushed them to bits and put it into the trash after complaining to the security agents for 5 min without a solution.

That was a one time thing though, I travel through Bangkok many times after that and have had no problem with either the cheese or chocolates.