We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

Bloomington
Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

Hi, we will be traveling next May from ORD (Chicago) to NRT (Japan) using AA miles. The only options are business class seats, so we got two business class tickets. However, we are a family of four and thus we will be buying two additional economy class tickets on the same flights. My question is: what is the chance that the two of us in the economy class can possibly be upgraded to business class so our family can all sit together? Or how should we ask so we can maximize our chance of it happening? We have two adults and two kids (7 years old). I know it is probably very unlikely, but if anyone has good suggestions, we would love to know. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

There's no way you'll get two upgraded so you can sit together. They'll no doubt offer to downgrade the two in J!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
2. Re: Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

Hi,

As you've pretty much already know, the odds are slim- approaching zero..

Airlines today have very strict rules about how any upgrades are done.. In almost all cases, they'll first offer them to passengers as a pre-flight sale option... if any are unsold, they'll then offer then to anyone who has requested to upgrade via one of AA's upgrade programs..

The last issue is free 'comp" upgrades.. IF that becomes necessary, they'll almost always look first to anyone who is an elite FF passenger on AA and/or is traveling on a high(er/est) price Economy ticket..

That's just how it works..

You can always ask.. but, I think that if you want or need that to happen, then you've got to have a real plan in place for that, as the odds they'll just comp upgrade two out of Y to C/J-- to be seated with two other award C/J passengers is very close to zero..

.. and that ORD-NRT flight, like most of their US-Asia services, tends to have a fair number of elite passengers or those on high-fare tickets.

Travel Safe,

UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

My question is: what is the chance that the two of us in the economy class can possibly be upgraded to business class so our family can all sit together

-------

Very low, as it should be, because if buying two business and two economy was a good reason to upgrade passengers for free then everyone would do that wouldn't they? :-)

I suggest (and presumably you'd do this anyway) that you have one adult and one child in business in one direction and then swap over in the other.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
4. Re: Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

Keep in mind that award availability changes constantly. If there is some flexibility in your travel schedule, you might be able to wait if you don't mind having your entire family sit in economy (and thus have a chance to sit together).

As others have mentioned, chances of two of you getting upgraded to business class for this reason is virtually none.

Bloomington
5. Re: Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

Thanks to all! I've been checking for the availability in economy for months, but they've never become available. Not sure if they are gone or AA never released them. Yes, I understand that the chances are very slim. Right now we have two adults using the miles and will be buying tickets for the two kids since kids get 20% discounts. But in reality we'll have one adult and one kid in business and the other pair in economy.

Motherwell, United...
reviews: 7
6. Re: Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

Ymafree2

Why don't you pay for the kids upgrade. That way you'll all get to sit together and still qualify for the discount.

Kind regards

Jim

Bloomington
7. Re: Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

The tickets for the economy class do not qualify for upgrades. They only allows for certain class tickets to be upgradable.

8. Re: Upgrade to business class by American Airline?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, December 17, 2013