We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I do online check in with Delta with children?

Saskatchewan, Canada
reviews: 1
Can I do online check in with Delta with children?

Hi, we are travelling from Canada to the US ( Orlando) with a connecting flight in Minneapolis. Myself ,husband, daughter(15), and her friend(16). Was wondering if Delta allows online checkin internationally if we are travelling with minors?

Only asking because our travel agent said to check in online because Delta has been known to over book their flights? but we allready have seat assignments so I didn't think I had to worrry about that?

thanks

UK
reviews: 84
1. Re: Can I do online check in with Delta with children?

Checking in confirms you intend to travel, brings up any ticketing or admin issues 24 hours ahead,(and not last minute at the airport), it gives you an ability to change or assign seats if there has been a change since your seats were assigned perhaps weeks ago(sometimes seat assignments 'go missing'), and makes it far less likely you will be bumped if the flight is overbooked.

So, given all that, why would you NOT checkin online as soon as you can? What would be the advantage of NOT checking in? I'm mystified.

Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 891
2. Re: Can I do online check in with Delta with children?

Of course you can check in all your family, I did it with Delta a few months ago and it was rather straightforward.

If Delta overbook, they ask you at check in at the airport if you wish to fly the next day and offer additional flight vouchers where you can make another trip over the next 12 months.

Atlanta, Georgia
3. Re: Can I do online check in with Delta with children?

I try to check in the minute online check in opens, to avoid surprises. It signals your intent to actually turn up and travel. Also then you can print your boarding passes.

It's only if you're traveling with infants in arms that there might be difference in the check-in process.

As far as over-booking goes, you preserve your rights by checking in on time (check in at the airport closes maybe an hour before departure), dropping any checked baggage on time (for real, not just standing in line at closing time), and being physically at the gate on time. If they are overbooked they will offer an enticement to get volunteers to fly later. If that doesn't work they will bump people off, but starting with those who were late.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
4. Re: Can I do online check in with Delta with children?

I would only add, make sure you have a signed, notarized permission to travel letter for your daughter's friend, signed by both parents, and also a letter authorizing you to obtain any necessary medical treatment for this child.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
5. Re: Can I do online check in with Delta with children?

I would check in online and actually would check now and then before then to make sure no seat changes have been made. But what Gracieboo said is so important. I can't tell you how many clients of mine have gotten denied because of that even though I've told them. And a commissioner of oath is no good, must be a notary. I travel with my kids w/o their father and have only been asked a few times of the 20 plus trips so I guess we are lucky, but you may not be and you would hate to have that happen at the airport.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
6. Re: Can I do online check in with Delta with children?

I too what to emphasize what Graci-boo said. There is no guarantee you will be allowed to bring a minor who is not your child into this country without the letter. A number of years ago an Israeli friend of mine brought two grandchildren to the US to visit. One had the same last name as she did. She needed letters from both sets of parents! ( and they were checked)

7. Re: Can I do online check in with Delta with children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 16, 2013