We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

Stoney Creek
reviews: 25
Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

I don't know why flight trax rejected my review soooooo.. here it is:

Flew to Cozumel from Toronto and back. Trip down was on time and uneventful. This is not a luxury airline but Westjet is reliable, friendly and safe.

On the way home from Cozumel, we had to make a medical diversion to Jacksonville FLA. Because we had to land quickly, we could not dump fuel and so we had to land heavy. Apparently, when you land heavy, the airplane must be checked before it can fly again. Unfortunately, there was no one available in JAX do do this (also it was Wednesday night before US Thanksgiving..) There was no quick way for Westjet to get us home, but they flew in another plane from Toronto with a new crew (because the other crew would be over their flight hours) and got us back to Toronto only 7 hrs late.

The captain persuaded US customs to make available a secure area off the aircraft so that we would not have to spend long hours on the tarmac. They also ordered pizza (plenty for all) and snacks and soda to keep us comfortable while we waited. The captain and crew kept us in the loop at all times so we knew exactly what was going on and when we could expect to get home. I really appreciated having that info.

All in all, I feel they handled a bad situation very well!

I heard some people complaining a bit that the sick elderly lady should never have been let on the aircraft, but I think that would be a really hard call to make to not allow a frail grandma on the plane to get back home to Canada. I hope she's okay and that she had insurance....

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

"I heard some people complaining a bit that the sick elderly lady should never have been let on the aircraft"

Did it occur to them that she might have been well at the start of the flight or should we ban the elderly from flying just in case they get ill during the flight - come to think of it what about young children, disabled flyers etc etc - some people only care about themselves.

Hope she's ok and glad it worked out in the end - WestJet seemed to have gone beyond the norm.

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

I think it's kind of cool to order pizzas and drinks etc, for what would be a very small cost,you can feed a plane and keep everyone happy in this situation, makes it different and fun.

Re granny, why were people complaining? Was she in some way disturbing other passengers, and was she sick when she boarded? If so, I'm not sure it's a hard call to make to not allow her to travel,more an uncomfortable one.

People don't usually complain about sick passengers unless there is a reason to do so, so I am curious.

Stoney Creek
3. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

Well, she was definitely in some discomfort before the flight and was complaining of being cold in the airport. Also, she could not walk far without having a rest...

I will say this, when I heard there was a medical emergency, I immediately knew who it was going to be! Maybe that means they shouldn't have let her on the plane - but I know, if it were me, I would have tried to get on the plane too...

I still think it would have been a really difficult call for the flight attendants to not let her go home with her family on the flight...

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
4. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

Play_it_again... so sorry to hear about Stoney Creek Dairy. I spent many a happy evening or summer afternoon visit there. :-(

If they could tell who was going to have difficulty significant enough to require a diversion, reliably, without fail, then it would be possible to decline people. That isn't going to happen. The probability was going to be with your guess, but it could easily have been anybody else. It takes a lot to divert. I hope she received the treatment required. Did they ask for medical personnel to respond?

Stoney Creek
5. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

That's funny! So many people have heard about Stoney Creek Dairy but they are no more...their chocolate peanut butter was really the best I have ever had.. :( If you are from the area, the vanier cup is on right now - mcmaster against laval - go marauders!!!

They did ask for medical to respond...a firefighter responded eventually - he said he always waits to see if a doctor or nurse responds first - but no such luck...the captain also said something about talking to medical on the phone before deciding they had to land within 30 minutes...interestingly, the lady did walk off the plane with help although they did give her oxygen while we were still in the air...

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
6. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

Woo-hoo! My Alma Mater (Geology '80)

If she was well enough to walk off the plane...

Well, I wasn't there, but diverting for an ambulatory pt would be rare.

Heck... I worked a cardiac arrest over the Pacific a month or so ago and we didn't divert. I got a nice note from the lady a couple weeks ago.

Edited: 10:32 pm, November 23, 2012
Edmonton
reviews: 14
7. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

Good for Westjet. I do prefer to fly them in Canada and to mexico.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
8. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

Good to see a positive review as people usually only post negative experiences so thanks for sharing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
9. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

I think WestJet is a cut above. Good service, good crew.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
10. Re: Review of recent WestJet flight from Cozumel toToronto

I'll agree that the few times I've flown WestJet, the service has been great, and any delays and other minor problems were handled well. I happened to book with them once by chance, as they flew into an airport I needed to get to that Air Canada didn't serve, and I was pleasantly surprised. I have since used them a couple of times more.

That said, I've only use them for short flights. My main problem with WestJet is that they only have economy seating. If they started offering business class cabins, I might fly with them more often. But for travellers not concerned about that, WestJet is a great option.