We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat Allocation

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 85
Seat Allocation

Fantastic, Easy Jet have discovered seat allocation! So much better for business passengers in particular. The quality of the rest of the EJ experience remains debatable, and everything is extra, but I'd suggest its a big step in the right direction.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
1. Re: Seat Allocation

Already threads about this

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k57377…

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 85
2. Re: Seat Allocation

Thx, couldn't find any through the search.

3. Re: Seat Allocation

I was one of the nay-sayers on the thread referred to above.

Out of curiosity I've just done a one-way dummy booking for a flight later this week from a European city to my local UK airport-a route which already has allocated seating. In the first five rows where the option to choose and pay for a seat can cost up to 15 Euro a time exactly two thirds of seats are still shown as unallocated.The vast majority of already allocated seats are in the area of the aircraft where it costs only 4 Euro to choose and of course many of those seats will have been allocated by easyJet to passengers who have chosen not to pay anything at all for the privilege .

I believe that easyJet have introduced this change in policy purely as a revenue generating stream despite their spin that it's because their passengers want it. Of course many passengers have been asking for it for some considerable time but they have been in existence since 1995 so how on earth did they manage to get it so wrong for so long and still operate a successful business?

Perhaps this change of policy will not result in the desired increase in revenue.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
4. Re: Seat Allocation

"I believe that easyJet have introduced this change in policy purely as a revenue generating stream despite their spin that it's because their passengers want it."

___

easyJet are a business. Businesses are supposed to generate income to make profit. If you're not happy at paying the extra then it is entirely your choice not to.

UK
reviews: 84
5. Re: Seat Allocation

<<I believe that easyJet have introduced this change in policy purely as a revenue generating stream despite their spin that it's because their passengers want it.>>

How about its both - customers want it *and* it increases revenue? Double whammy!!

<< Of course many passengers have been asking for it for some considerable time >>

But you just said it was spin? Look up there ^^^ See what you wrote??

<<but they have been in existence since 1995 so how on earth did they manage to get it so wrong for so long and still operate a successful business?>>

So your argument is that no successful company can ever improve its service, because a successful company must be perfect? If thats not what you are saying I don't follow your logic.

6. Re: Seat Allocation

sunmagic

We all know that businesses exist to make a profit. The spin is that they dress up a change in policy such as this as being simply a response to what customers want (I do not deny that many do want this change) without attesting to their attendant wish to increase their profits .

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 191
7. Re: Seat Allocation

I don't to pay to choose my seat, so they can allocate me any seat they like. If that helps to keep the basic cost of the flight down, I'm happy.

If the extra revenue generated by the people who don't mind paying the fees keeps the airline making money, they are happy.

Presumably the people that want to pay extra to secure their favourite seats are also happy!

So far, I can't really see any losers here. Hang on, perhaps it's the people who want to chosoe their favourite seats without paying for it? Or those who will push everyone else out of the way to be first on so that they can get the seat they want for nothing?

UK
reviews: 84
8. Re: Seat Allocation

The spin is that they dress up a change in policy such as this as being simply a response to what customers want (I do not deny that many do want this change) without attesting to their attendant wish to increase their profits .

=========

Well that would perhaps be because of the often ludicrous public reaction in this country (which you sort of hint at) when companies make a profit.

In any case, why should a company need to make an announcement about wishing to make more profits? Thats what they do!! Its hardky news or warrants an announcement !

They need only make an announcement if they wish to make less profit, anything else is not news because *everything* a company does is trying to get more profit. Even if its lowering prices they believe that will raise overall profits. Should they just tag that onto the end of each sentence on their press release ?

FWIW I understand they think they will make more profit but NOT in direct revenue from paid for seats (because previously they had paid for speedy boarding so one roughly cancels out the other) but in extra business generated from people who didn't like flying with them because of the scrum.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
9. Re: Seat Allocation

joeintheuk makes a good point.

I don't like to get on a flight early - the less time spent on board the better. So I like to have an allocated seat that I can take at any time - preferably just before the doors close.

The rush to grab seats has, in the past, made me avoid Easyjet.

Now I will consider them as an option.

Perhaps I'm not alone and this new initiative will generate new customers for them.

10. Re: Seat Allocation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 16, 2013