We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin A330-300 v Virgin 747-400.

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 50
Virgin A330-300 v Virgin 747-400.

I have just returned from Orlando on a Virgin A330-300, and in the past I have also flown on Virgin 747-400 aircraft.

Prior to my holiday on the 7th November 2012 on the VS075 service from Manchester, I read up on the new A330-300 aircraft, and it stated that these new planes were 15% more fuel efficient and also 15% quieter than the 747-400.

It may be true that these new Airbus's are more efficient but they are certainly not quieter, I had to shout for my Son to hear me at times and he was sat next to me across the aisle, the engines are so loud compared to the 747-400 which in my opinion is a better aircraft although the IFE is superb on the A330.

UK
reviews: 81
1. Re: Virgin A330-300 v Virgin 747-400.

I suspect the noise level is meant to be from a POV of outside the airplane eg to bystanders or people under the flightpath. So you should have climbed onto the wing to check (via the secret hatch under seat 40g).

It may also be that some places are nosier than others, eg up nearer the pointy end ahead of the engines may be quieter than just behind them?

Halifax, West...
reviews: 54
2. Re: Virgin A330-300 v Virgin 747-400.

Having flown Virgin 747 from MAN-MCO and Virgin Airbus LHR-LAX I'd have to say the Airbus was far superior. Admittedly the In-flight entertainment on the 747 was before the refits, but there was so much more legroom on the Airbus. Perhaps this was because the flight to LAX is longer the set up is for more legroom?? But I've not read/heard this.

The strange thing about the 747 MAN-MCO flight was that the legroom on the set of 3 seats seemed much less than the central 4 block seats?

Wigan, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Virgin A330-300 v Virgin 747-400.

The 747 has 2 engines under each wing, which are more noisy that the A330 with only 1 engine under each wing.

Its noise from a certain point on the ground, not in the cabin.

Air pressure on the ear drums can cause hearing problems in flight, just like our hearing deteriorates with age.

Edited: 6:44 am, November 26, 2012
Sheffield, United...
reviews: 50
4. Re: Virgin A330-300 v Virgin 747-400.

I am talking about the noise within the cabin at the rear of the fuselage in both types of aircraft.

The Airbus was louder without doubt and considerably so, at least 3 other people commented on how loud the aircraft was, which surprised me as I had read how the A 330 was supposed to be a quieter.

Maybe the aircraft is quieter from the ground but it certainly isn't inside.

Wigan, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Virgin A330-300 v Virgin 747-400.

Yeah, but thats due to reduced levels of sound insulation in the cabin and the fact that the A330 has 2 large engines closer to the fuselage, but the 747 has 4 engines that are further from the fuselage, so therefore further away from the passengers!

The reports you read in the news and on the internet about fuel efficiency and noise levels are all from the outside, the impact on the environment etc and its that external noise level that is on the aircraft spec sheet, like the label you get on a household appliance. Everything has a rating these days.

Edited: 6:15 am, November 29, 2012
6. Re: Virgin A330-300 v Virgin 747-400.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, December 16, 2013