We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 10
Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

Hi I, together with family, am booked on Swiss to travel to israel from Australia on a non refundable ticket - and due to the recent rockets etc. Would like to cancel. I don't want to lose the $10k I spent on air tickets for the family - any suggestions?

Thanks

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

Such as?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 10
2. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

Canceling without losing cost of ticket?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, 航空旅行, Thailand
reviews: 71
3. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

Hi,

Call and ask Swiss if there's an "waiver" in place.. It's common that during events like this. that an airline will implement a discretionary waiver of the otherwise normally applicable rules relating to ticketing issues.

Note that these waivers in almost all cases are wholly discretionary in nature and what each waiver allows will vary.. but I'd start here first..

Travel Safe,

UK
reviews: 89
4. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

Will your holiday insurance cover cancellation for incidents like this?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
5. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

If the Australian govt advises against travel to the region then you will normally be able to claim via your travel insurance otherwise a disinclination to travel will not normally be covered (at least that's the norm in the UK).

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
6. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

The rockets have stopped! When is your trip? Unless it is tomorrow or the day after, I think you are very much over-reacting. Come to Israel and enjoy.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
7. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

I think it is harsh to say the OP is “very much over-reacting“. It is understandable that the OP doesn't want to travel to a place that is experiencing rocket fire.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
8. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

Greetings from Israel.

A cease-fire came into effect on Wednesday evening. There are no rockets falling. Of course, the decision on whether to travel to Israel is the OP's and nobody else's, but everything is normal here. No rockets, no shooting, no bombing. In view of that, I would assume that cancelling the trip falls under "disinclination to travel" (see post 5), not because of a travel advisory against going to a war zone because it isn't a war zone.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
9. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

DD is a bridesmaid at a wedding in Israel next year and we were discussing this last night. Unless you are planning to travel to the Gaza Strip, West Bank, Bethlehem, Jericho or Ramullah, Smarttraveller's travel advisory is only "Exercise a high degree of caution". I don't think travel insurance would pay out if you cancelled.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for 航空旅行, Business Travel
reviews: 81
10. Re: Cancel flight to israel on Swiss

There have been rocket attacks for many, many years. Remember that the media has the capability of making it seem as though the entire region is on fire.

If you don't want to go, you don't want to go and little we say here will influence you. That being the case, you must rely on the airline issuing special dispensation to refund your fares.

I also don't think most insurance policies would pay out. They seldom do for armed conflict, especially in an area known for that.