We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I skip the final leg?

Port Washington...
Can I skip the final leg?

I bought 2 round trip tickets from Chicago O'Hare to Johannesburg, South Africa. When I printed out the details, I noticed that the return trip destination was not the same as the origin. We will end up at Chicago Midway instead of O'Hare. We live in the Milwaukee area, and in order to get to Milwaukee, we would have to take a shuttle from Midway to O'Hare, then another to Milwaukee. (In the first place, my husband and I decided to fly in and out of O'Hare rather than Milwaukee since we saved nearly $1000.). I called Delta to see how much it would cost to switch the ticket to end up in O'Hare (our origin) rather than Midway. The extra cost was over $700 per person (the round trip ticket was less than $1000!)!. Crazy!

Needless to say, we won't be using that option.

I would like to purchase an approximately $100 one-way flight from Minneapolis to Milwaukee and just skip the last leg of our Johannesburg-Paris-Minneapolis-Midway flight. Since we'll be arriving in Minneapolis from Paris, we have to claim our baggage to get it through customs. Can we just walk away with it rather than putting it on the carousel? Can we just then check it in for the one-way flight from Minn. to Milwaukee? Is this allowed?

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 24
1. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

Can I have a dollar for every time this question has been asked? Type your question into the search box at either the top or bottom of the page and read the many answers. (I appreciate that this is your first post, but be aware the 'search' function in TA is very good.)

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
2. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

"When I printed out the details, I noticed that the return trip destination was not the same as the origin."

I'm just curious how someone who books a return trip from Point A returning to Point A can actually get tickets returning to Point B if they had carefully selected return to Point A in the booking process and why if it was not their fault, they would not argue like mad to get the airline to recify the mistake free of charge!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

No, that is against the conditions of your ticket.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

why if it was not their fault, they would not argue like mad to get the airline to recify the mistake free of charge!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Likely the passenger's fault. Definitely not the airline's fault. Can often happen with flights from/to London. Depart from LHR and arrive at LGW.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
5. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

'Can I skip the final leg?' You *may* be able to do so, ie you may collect your bags at MSP and as you put it 'walk away with it.'

Should you do this? No, for a few reasons. First, hidden city ticketing, which is what you propose, is against the terms and conditions of the ticket you bought. Should you not fly the last sector, DL reserves the right to recalculate the fare and charge you accordingly.

Your bags will be tagged for flights from JNB-CDG-MSP-MDW. When your bags are not processed for the flight from MSP to MDW, that will trigger questions with DL. When you do not appear at the gate for the flight to MDW Delta staff will offload you as no show pax and attempt to find your bags to remove them from the hold. This will take time and may delay departure.

If you book a flight with Delta for MSP to Milwaukee for the same day you skip the last sector, checking in for that flight may alert the Delta IT systems that something is amiss as you will have been no shows for the flight to MDW but instead wish to fly to MKE.

It's a situation that has a number of pitfalls and potentials for unpleasantness all around; generally not recommended as safe.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

"Can we just walk away with it rather than putting it on the carousel? Can we just then check it in for the one-way flight from Minn. to Milwaukee?"

You could and there's probably little risk associated with doing it. People miss connections and flights all the time. But as Hans says, it's almost certainly against the T&C of your ticket.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
7. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

"I'm just curious how someone who books a return trip from Point A returning to Point A can actually get tickets returning to Point B if they had carefully selected return to Point A in the booking process and why if it was not their fault, they would not argue like mad to get the airline to recify the mistake free of charge!"

I've done it and in some cases can be quite easy and we've booked plenty of flights in the past and never done this ..... I booked with Emirates, and clicked London to Jakarta. Got my tickets and it wasn't till a few weeks later I noticed I was leaving Heathrow and returning to Gatwick. Wasn't a massive issue for us as we were using public transport anyway and hadn't booked anything at the time.

Obviously now I always click Heathrow or Gatwick rather than London. I guess when a city has more than one airport, you should be a little more cautious

Edited: 4:07 am, November 23, 2012
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
8. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

Quite!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
9. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

You need to also consider that the schedule of your existing flight to Midway could change resulting in a later arrival - this could happen anytime up to a few days before the flight.

If in the meantime you've bought a one way ticket from Minn to Mil you could find that the flight departs before your revised arrival time and you're simply a no show on that flight.

This could also happen if your flight is delayed as you have no protection with seperately ticketed flights.

Just something else to bear in mind as well as the hidden city issues set out in other replies.

Port Washington...
10. Re: Can I skip the final leg?

Arandora,

I used kayak and didn't notice that the initial search page had an "add nearby airports" checkbox defaulting as checked. When I checked my selections, I didn't read carefully enough... my final destination was Chicago Midway rather than Chicago O'Hare. I saw Chicago.... I hope I've learned my lesson.

Thank you all for your input. I won't be skipping the final leg.