We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 76
Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

Hello all

I am flying from Birmingham to Christchurch via Dubai in January.

Booked online and have selected seats, I based my selection on seat guru and some helpful posts on this forum.

Exit row seats were already taken so I selected the row behind on all 4 legs.

When I've flown this route before I notice that after the seat belt sign goes off people jump up and grab free rows of seats, so based on that do you think it's worth changing my seat when I come to check in on-line to a 'less populated' area?

I was really lucky last time as I knew someone who worked at BHX for Emirates who arranged for us to have a 4 row each for the 1st leg, so didn't have to worry about it.

On to on-line check in, I've never done this before, is there an advantage as opposed to normal check in? Must you print off boarding passes? Should you check in sooner rather than later (based on the previous question about seat selecting less populated areas)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

Exit row seats are always blocked - both at booking and online check in, but if you check in early at the counter they may be available.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
2. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

You can check-in online, but you don't have to print your boarding passes off, ie when you're returning from holiday & don't have access to a printer.

I book my seat as soon as I can, you can always change it later,say if the seat next to you gets booked, but the seat in front still has an empty seat next to it.

The bulkhead seats can't be booked on-line, & I was told that they are given to those who ask for them first, upon arrival at the airport.

Obviously all this can be done free of charge & several months in advance.

Edited: 8:11 am, November 22, 2012
Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
3. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

I flew with Emirates earlier this year from London to Jakarta and stopped in Heathrow.

On both flights to and from Dubai the plane was almost half empty. Originally we sat in row 46 or maybe 47, it is at the back where in stead of 3-4-3 it becomes 2-4-2. Anyway, as the doors closed, I could see that the section I was sitting in literally was about a third full. I moved from my seat into the middle, so husband has 2 seats to himself and I had 4 to myself. A few other people quickly shuffled too and even then there were plenty of seats free.

Can't say the same for the Dubai - Jakarta flight, although not full, I just stayed in my seat, but there was a sprinkling of odd seats free here and there at the back of the plane.

Just keep an eye on your booking online with Emirates and see how the plane fills up. From my experience, the front of the plane tends to be more full than the back. You can always change your seat as you please, I know did at least 4 times, they will email you to confirm also.

As for check in, I thought you could only check in with Emirates 24 hrs in advance max

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
4. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

p.s despite what I said above, you can't guarantee if there will or will not be any spare seats or where they are, it is just luck of the draw.

London
reviews: 21
5. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

Its worth checking your seat choice a few times as my last flight the type of plane was changed twice - therefore different seats.

My forthcoming trip in January, had to phone Emirates as there was a glitch with my credit card whilst booking. The agent I spoke to was so apologetic and said she would make note on my booking to give me exit row seats if available at check in. Will have to wait and see if this materialises.

Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
6. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

As said above do monitor the aircraft type or your seat will cease to exist.

When we've flown Emirates the flight has always been full. The idea of a whole row of seats to one self is wonderful. I've always ended up squashed next to someone else that I would have preferred not to. I live in hope of that row just for me.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
7. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

Emirates online check-in is from 24 hours in advance of the flight, I was referring to the booking of seats, which can be done as soon as you've bought your ticket

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 76
8. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

Thanks everyone,

I have already changed our seats on 1 leg of the journey as someone has taken the seat next to us, and the 1st on on he other side of the aisle.

Was wondering whether I was being too picky, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! :)

I am aware that on-line check in is only 24 hours in advance, we have an evening flight and was wondering whether there's any advantage to checking in the evening before at "T minus" 24 hours or leaving it later?

What are the advantages of checking in on-line?

If I do OLCI will I still be able to request exit row seats at the airport?

Thanks again guys

NomadicForever
reviews: 13
9. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

My advice is keep watching how the seats get filled. Keep moving if you want to. Check again just before you drop your bags. If you are unhappy about the location of your seat at the time, ask the agent at bag drop if an emergency exit row or first row or whatever you want is available. This worked for me recently. I was given a first row aisle. The flight was full. No chance to have a spare seat for my book, bag etc. At least I could stretch my legs.

First row and emergency tend to be blocked for online selection. You need to ask for it. At least on my flight it could not be preselected.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
10. Re: Emirates on-line check in & pre-selecting seats

Main advantage of OLCI is that you go to 'Baggage drop' counter which usually have shorter queue than regular check in counters.

You can still ask if an exit row seat is available.