We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Athens

Australia
reviews: 20
Heathrow to Athens

Hi all,

Planning a trip for next Oct/Nov from Australia and looking at all options for flights.

We are wanting to fly from Brisbane to London and then spend 5 days there before going on to Athens. All flights from Athens to Brisbane seem to go via Heathrow anyway so we thought we'd book return tickets from Bris to LHR and then get "local" flight from LHR to Athens. It will also work out a lot cheaper than buying as one trip.

Just wondering which airlines fly from Heathrow to Athens and which you would recommend?

I see easyjet only fly from Gatwick so they're out, BA fly and seem to be around the €120 OW price... can't get Olympic Air website to give me a price for that time frame... any others???

Appreciate any and all advice!!

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 126
1. Re: Heathrow to Athens

If you want direct, your options are BA, Olympic and Aegean are your options. Check skyscanner.net for cheapest airlines on your dates.

It's not true that all airlines from BNE to ATH are via LHR. You can fly via SIN, the middle east (DXB, AUH, DOH), or China if you just want one stop.

Have a great trip, Athens is a great city and the Greeks could do with your tourist dollars!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
2. Re: Heathrow to Athens

Why are easyJet out? You aren't intending to return from Athens then hop straight on a flight to Brisbane by any chance? If so then change your plans as there's nowt as silly (or expensive) as missing your flight home because your inward flight was delayed / changed / cancelled.

At the very least consider an open jaw / multi-city ticket of Brisbane-London & Athens-Brisbane even if it does route you back through London or book Brisbane-London, London-Athens, Athens-Brisbane as one itinerary

Edited: 3:51 am, November 22, 2012
London
reviews: 73
3. Re: Heathrow to Athens

If you're going to be in London for five days anyway, what's the issue with flying out of LGW?

If its cheaper and/or more convenient time wise, then why rule it out?

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
4. Re: Heathrow to Athens

I know that Athens doesn't fit neatly into an OZ-Europe itinerary, but have you looked at Emirates or Etihad? Singapore Airlines + Turkish via Istanbul? It might be worth your while to talk to a travel agent who will know of multi-airline combo options that are not readily apparent on a single airline's website. (Just back from Greece myself - GREAT place!)

Australia
5. Re: Heathrow to Athens

Thanks all for your replies...

bimdonesia you're right... they don't all go via heathrow but I've looked at so many options and airlines my head is spinning with all the variations!!! The thing is we want to spend some time in UK first before going to Athens and the open jaw/multi city flights are so much more expensive than booking return Bris/London and doing the others as separate flights. Thanks for mentioning Aegean Air, that's one I hadn't looked at.

Alanrow.. I actually priced that out with BA. Bris-LHR rt and then LHR-Athens return worked out at about $2000AUD but open jaw/multicity was $3000. Yes we were considering flying the whole homeward leg in "one" day.... but with a 12 hr layover in London so if there's delays we have time and if not maybe we can see some of London ( did something similar in LA this year flying Orlando/LA/Bris in a day ). Do you think that's a really bad idea? Cos maybe we can adjust the itinerary if delays/cancellations are likely.

TheIntrepidExplorers....... we're hiring a car from Heathrow and driving to the Cotswolds for 5 days so want to return to Heathrow.We thought it would just be too much of a hassle and cost more to have to get to Gatwick when we return the car ( not that we have any idea what we're getting ourselves in for!! ).

We are pretty excited already about this trip, 3 weeks in Greece... a week on the Peloponnese, then Vikos Gorge, Meteora, Pelion and Athens.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
6. Re: Heathrow to Athens

Leaping into a car after 24 hours in the air isn't a good idea

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
7. Re: Heathrow to Athens

Emirates offer Brisbane - Dubai - Athens daily

You also Etihad have Brisbane - Abu Dhabi - Athens

From there perhaps add on a budget airline flight

BA do not fly from Brisbane ( it is only Sydney in Australia they have a flight to/from ) so that must be code-share on Qantas, however I doubt those code-shares will exists by them following the Qantas / Emirates deal

If you can then perhaps get a budget airline flight from Athens

Australia
8. Re: Heathrow to Athens

Thanks Numbat... I have always booked our trips myself online but this one is a little bit more complicated and am considering seeing a travel agent to see if they can put something together. We do want to try to get the cheapest options as none of us are millionaires!!!

Alanrow... we are totally flexible. The plan is to fly in to Heathrow as early in the morning as possible so if we need to have a nanny nap somewhere we can and still be at the Cotswolds by early afternoon. I however am a bit of a freak in that as soon as I get on a plane, train or am a passenger in a car for long distance travel I fall asleep... it's weird but whether it's an hour flight or 12 hours I just can't stay awake so I'm thinking I'll be fine when we get there.

Monica4... yes it is a codeshare with Qantas from Brisbane to Singapore then BA to London. I will look at Emirates and Ethiad but since we need a 5 day stop in London on the way over it may not work. thanks.

bridgnorth
9. Re: Heathrow to Athens

Both Aegean and BA fly directly from Heathrow to Athens, Olympic haven't flown into the UK for a couple(?) of years.

They are both showing their schedules for next October. DEpending on flight times one way fares are BA £106 and Aegean £97. These fares include baggage , food and drink .

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
10. Re: Heathrow to Athens

You could still use Emirates or Etihad to London, both good airlines, plus if it is just to London then those or also Singapore Airlnes, Malaysia Airlines, Thai etc.

Note Emirates, Etihad and Singapore Airlines also fly to Manchester, Emirates also flies to Birmingham if that is of any benefit to your travel plans.

Get answers to your questions