We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to London

Noosa, Australia
reviews: 185
New York to London

My wife and I intend to go to New York in May and I was thinking of adding a return trip to England from New York or nearby. I've been shocked at how expensive the transatlantic flight is. I can get from Brisbane to London return (about 16 500 km each way) for $1450 but New York to London (almost exactly one third the distance) is $950 (apart from incredibly long Finnair trips). I was expecting more competitive prices on this very busy route.

Am I missing something or can anyone suggest a lower cost city pairing?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: New York to London

"Am I missing something or can anyone suggest a lower cost city pairing?"

The cost of a flight does not have a lot to do with the distance travelled so your comparison is flawed - it's more to do with what the market will stand.

It is a busy route so fares are competative but it's also a very popular route so airlines can charge accordingly - you probably won't find a cheaper city pairing as other routes have fewer flights which leads to higher prices (you can't win).

$950 (arond £630) is at the upper end of what I'd expect to pay on that route and cheaper fares will hopefully be available if the airlines such as BA have a sale in Jan 2013 but any sale may not cover all routes/dates.

The other factor is that the cheaper flights normally require a Saturday night stay or even a 7 night stay and you don't give details of what dates you were planning to fly.

Noosa, Australia
2. Re: New York to London

While there's certainly a basic cost for a flight regardless of distance, there's a much bigger distance related charge. It seems to be about £100 cheaper to fly London to New York & return than New York to London & return. Saturday or 7 days wouldn't be a problem.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
3. Re: New York to London

amp-qld

Which way around are you flying to New York, is it eastbound over the Pacific ? If so then see what airfare you can obtain based on Brisbane ( via wherever ) to New York and London that allows a stopover in NY.

Otherwise you could look at a Brisbane to New York fare via London, so you fly Brisbane ( via wherever ) to London and then New York

Another option is that you could also look ar RTW ( round-the-World ) fares so so could travel ( via the obvious stops ) Brisbane - New York - London - Brisbane.

Edited: 5:50 am, November 21, 2012
UK
reviews: 81
4. Re: New York to London

While there's certainly a basic cost for a flight regardless of distance, there's a much bigger distance related charge. It seems to be about £100 cheaper to fly London to New York & return than New York to London & return

==========

Eh? Thats nothing to do with distance (how can it be its between the same two cities?) its supply and demand.

p.s check a RTW ticket as Monica suggests, and also look at the multi city booking option, you could do that two ways, either round the world Brisbane - New York - London - Brisbane or Brisbane-London-New York-London- Brisbane.

Edited: 5:57 am, November 21, 2012
Manchester
reviews: 31
5. Re: New York to London

also, not sure when you're booking but late may is half term in the UK, which may push up the price.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
6. Re: New York to London

I do not know much about it ( so others please do correct me ) but as far as I know the UK has the worlds highest travel tax for people flying, so perhaps that also affects the high costs (?)

Noosa, Australia
7. Re: New York to London

Joeintheuk, I was merely commenting on the difference between the directions as you're based in the UK so are presumably used to starting the return trip in the UK.

I've looked at various RTWs. The problem is that my wife won't do flights over about 10 hours and wants a day or more break between each major leg. With that restriction, the suitable RTWs are expensive so we'll probably go BNE-HNL-LAS-NYC. She also can't stand the UK but I have family there and am specifically going there for the half term.

I had thought that transatlantic tickets were actually cheap. I'm now thinking that I may go to the UK as a completely separate trip.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
8. Re: New York to London

Monica

You are correct in that the UK has certainly the highest tax within the EU for any flight departing from the UK - the specific amount varies by class of travel and the distance from London to the capital city of the country being visited.

It's created perverse pricing where the tax to Hawaii (Us Capital - Washington) is less than the tax to the caribbean islands.

reviews: 33
9. Re: New York to London

You are making the wrong assumptions on what builds up a price of flights. Distance IS NOT the major factor. For example, it is often a lot more expensive to fly to Ireland from the UK, than it is to fly Eastern Europe. Despite Eastern Europe being multiples times the distance. Supply, Demand and competition play a far bigger factor

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
10. Re: New York to London

Distance, supply-and-demand, competition, plus the type of travelers on the route all matter. For example, fares to little known Northwest Arkansas Airport is always ridiculously high. A one-way between there and NYC can cost US$1,000 at times. Why? Because Walmart is headquartered there so the airlines are able to charge the travelers an extra premium for business traveling.

Back to OP's question: you will typically find BA (or other airlines) fare sales every couple of months. You should still have time to look for a lower fare.