We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

Caloundra, Australia
reviews: 11
Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

My wife and I are flyng Air Asia from Coolangatta to Kuala Lumpur, then later that month from Phuket to Coolangatta,.early 2013. I've only just bought a 15.6 inch laptop PC, and whilst we have travelled to SE Asia and back before, I've never carried a PC in a caryy case as extra carry on luggage. .Are theier any restrictions ?

Melbourne
reviews: 1
1. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

It's a little hard to find on the AirAsia website, I found it by typing "baggage" in the search box and got this:

"You are allowed one piece of baggage onboard and/or 1 laptop bag or 1 handbag on-board, each of which should not exceed the size dimensions and do not weigh more than 7kg when combined with the cabin baggage. Our overhead compartments in the aircraft cabin are built to hold a certain size and weight of baggage. Anything exceeding these dimensions put our guests at risk of injury from falling objects should there be turbulence mid-air.

Size Dimensions: Hand-carried baggage should not exceed dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm.

Weight: All items must be placed inside your main hand-carry baggage and NOT weigh more than 7kg COMBINED.

Such baggage should also fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead compartment in the cabin. The approved cabin baggage must be tagged with a cabin bag tag.

You are also allowed to bring along your musical instrument which is packed properly and must not exceed the approved weight and size as stated above so that it can fit within the overhead compartment. Combined with your main hand-carry baggage, all items should NOT weigh more than 7kg.

If your musical instrument is larger than the stated dimensions we would advise you to buy another seat to safeguard against potential damage in the cargo hold."

It sounds like the total weight of your baggage can't be more than 7kg and ultimately have to all fit in one bag, which in turn fits within their dimensions: "All items must be placed inside your main hand-carry baggage "

Hope this helps.

Caloundra, Australia
2. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

You've been a big help! The answer is likely already there for me to read on our E ticket, which makes me feel stupid.

Just as well my laptop weighs 3 kg in itself. Now I have a problem since I was expecting to be allowed 7 kg for my carry on port (you call it a suitcase down there), which complies measurement wise, apart from the laptop in a carry case. No matter, we'll sort it out. I'm pleased I bought luggage scales to avoid any hassles checking in.

Thanks ever so much.

Keith

Melbourne
reviews: 1
3. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

You're welcome, and I agree, luggage scales are a Godsend.

Have a good trip.

Amsterdam, The...
4. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

You can check AirAsia's fee schedule here: airasia.com/sg/…

It takes a while for the page to load after you make your departure/arrival choices, so if nothing appears to be happening, just hang on and it will display eventually.

You can only take one piece of luggage onboard weighing up to 7kg, so put the laptop in that if you want to take something else too. I've flown AA many times and I've never seen them weigh carry-on luggage, only hold luggage.

Finally, make sure you to check-in online if you want to save money. If you check-in at the airport, you'll be charged AUD 90 for hold luggage up to 15kg and AUD 40 for every kilo in excess of that figure.

Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

Slight error in my post above. That should read "Pre-booked luggage" as opposed to check-in online in order to qualify for the reduced hold luggage rate.

Sorry about that.

Caloundra, Australia
6. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

Thanks Xircal for your input.

I'm resolved not to be caught. I'll buy a padded cover for my laptop and place it in my carry on luggage. It doesn't explain the times I have seen people using laptops on a flight. Maybe they pay extra or its their only carry on luggage?

EazyJet in Belfast would be the worst ever we have struck when it comes to correct carry on. We were some 20 minutes early at the gate , waiting to board and this female staff person saw us seated nearby and had plenty of oppurtunity to see that my wife had a handbag additional, but it wasn't until we presented our boarding passes that she told her she had to pack it in the carry on, This meant we had to make room to comply and put us down the queque. Yes, she was right but we hadn't experienced it ever before (or since).

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

When checking in my bags at the Air Asia counter in Singapore last month my carry on luggage (a largish tote but still within the size limit) was weighed and tagged. I also had a small hangbag and I asked whether it needed to be in the bag (there was plenty of room and weight allowance left) but I was told it was ok as it was small.

My husbands carry on was not weighed or tagged (we were a bit concerned about the absence of a tag) - it was a medium sized camera bag well under the limit with just camera gear and an ipad.

We also purchased duty free alcohol in Changi which could also fit into the tote but it was easier to carry it separately. So when boarding we actually had 2 bags each (tote, my handbag, camera bag and duty free) with the carry on tag only on the tote however if necessary it could have all fitted within the allowed 1 bag 7 kg per person.

We noticed Air Asia staff at the boarding gate walking through the waiting area checking the size of some luggage but they were only focusing on larger bags.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
8. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

Before going to their checkin counter, take the battery and the power brick out of the computer and puth them in your pockets. This will give you a couple extra kg of flexibility.

(learned that the hard way a few years ago on Qantas.)

Edited: 5:40 pm, November 21, 2012
Caloundra, Australia
9. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

The tales we can tell!

With all this feedback I'm confident of stress free boarding with Air Asia. As for AA checking on correct size of carry on, I recall a Air Asia staff member stopping us at some point after check in on our way to boarding( I think it was at KL airport). She had a set of scales on the floor. She lifted each of our correct size ports in turn and allowed us to continue on. I guess otherwise it was the scales for us.Thank you for your posts -- all helps.

Brazil, Indiana
10. Re: Weight limit on Laptop as carry on luggage with Air Asia?

Thanks for this also. I may be brought some stuffs.