We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

Bainbridge Island...
reviews: 5
Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

I won't go into too many details, but here's just a couple of things: Spirit claims your first bag is free. It is, but that's just your carry-on. I paid $86 extra, roundtrip, for my suitcase, and was only allowed 40, NOT 50 pounds in it. If you want water, no problem! For $3 you can buy a very small bottle. Have long legs? Don't even attempt flying on this airline. The flight attendants are not at ALL concerned with your wants OR needs. To be fair, they are probably treated like crap by their employer. It is the WORST airline I have ever had the displeasure of traveling on. I am telling anyone who will listen: NEVER FLY WITH SPIRIT AIR! YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! Oh, and I forgot to mention leaving St. Maarten almost 3 hours late. MOST passengers missed their connecting flights in Fort Lauderdale,on other airlines (and even Spirit Air flights) and were basically told/asked "SO WHAT?" If you value your time and money, this is NOT the airline for you.

sydney
reviews: 76
1. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

mmmm I guess you didn't read the t&c's carefully enough - many low cost airlines charge for hold baggage, drinks etc - and hey forget about complaining about having long legs squashed in - too many posters in that line well before you.

London, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

They are a very very low cost carrier, if you want more ie full service and everything included, then you need to pay more and fly with another airline. Nothing is free these days.

Always a good idea to actually read the terms and conditions before you agree to them and purchase a ticket. Possibly even research on line what you are buying, there is lots of negativity about this airline. However sometimes the cheap prices is all people can see, yet bizzarely still want the extras thrown in.

As regards to late departure, this happens to all airlines, and for people who missed their connections, buying one ticket as opposed to two is always best. Water prices sound average for airlines and seat pitch is also advertised on line.

As for the baggage at 40lbs not 50, it is 40, it clearly states so in their terms and conditions, as are their fees,

…spirit.com/entries/21362092-what-are-the-si…

Sorry, I am not sure what your complaint is, other than you bought a cheapo ticket and did not read the terms and conditions and did not understand the other charges.

You have simply ranted. If you would care to actually give some form of example of how bad they were, other than the three hour delay, I am sure everyone would like to know. Past that, the rest is your misunderstanding on what you purchased. Personally I would not use them, but your post is not sensible.

UK
reviews: 81
3. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

From what I read they have far worse issues than the trivial stuff you found through experience that 2 minutes looking online would have told you.

Perhaps however, for a very low cost, you have learned that you can't have your cake and eat it, and that just booking something on the basis of apparent lowest price only (and certainly with no research) is usually not a good idea.

Somerset, UK
reviews: 223
4. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

One post whinger.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
5. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

To be fair she has two posts but both are rants - another who thought buying the cheapest ticket with a LCC would provide the same benefits of a full service carrier.

Edited: 3:23 am, November 21, 2012
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

Hi,

I have to agree with the other and notably with #5 in that the issues of: "first bag free", "40 not 50 pounds" and "water" are issues that Spirit speaks to well in advance of travel, via their T&C's or other other places on their site.

You or others make not LIKE these, but that "like" or not, is, IMHO, distinctly different from a case of "I wasn't properly notified"-- and in this case, specific to the bag fee, bag weight and water, are in fact things they alert you to.

The issue of "The flight attendants are not at ALL concerned with your wants OR needs" to me, needs some clarification..

If that "need" was something that's chargeable (like on-board water) and the flight attendants wouldn't comp it, then I don't see that as a lack of concern or needs.. So, to me, this one needs some specifics as to what the matter was, how it came to be, and what was the interactions of both parties.

The missed connections issue to me, also needs clarification-- thought I *suspect* I know how the OP derives this..

As many of us know, Spirit (NK) tickets are NOT accepted by any other airlines.. So if you've missed your connection, then the only other option for Spirit- thus you- is to wait for the next NK-operated flight.

I suspect (again, a guess on my part of the series of events) that the Spirit agent essentially told those who had a missed connection in FLL that their only option was to wait for the next/another NK flight.. and perhaps it's this reality of "this is your only option" that drives the "so what" assessment.

I DO think that Spirit MAY own the 3 hour delay from SXM.. BUT.. since delays can be due to events partially or wholly outside of the carriers control, we'd need to know what was the driver in order to say how much responsibility they should have...

It COULD be wholly, partially or none of Spirit's fault..

In the end, I see this like the others, the bulk of the issues here are ones that, like it or not, Spirit does disclose.. so to that end, you do have the ability to make an informed decision about buying or not.. the flight attendants' and the 3hr delay needs more clarity...

Travel Safe,

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

Low cost carriers are all the same. I use them for short trips of up to an hour, but I would never consider flying long haul with any of them.

As for Spirit, their optional charges are clearly stated on their site: http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx

If you travel with them quite often, consider signing up to the "Fare Club" which helps reduce charges slightly.

Other than that, just be thankful you're not flying Ryanair. Its CEO, Michael O'Leary advocates flying with the least amount of fuel possible which led to three flights declaring a fuel emergency in Spain a few months ago: http://is.gd/ioCzzK

southern england
reviews: 21
8. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

WRONG....A 2 post whinger

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
9. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

When will bargain hunters learn that "cheapest apparent price" is rarely an indicator of "very happy customer".

North Carolina
reviews: 23
10. Re: Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fly with Spirit Air. Ever

There is an interesting interview in today's Wall Street Journal with Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza.

excerpts: (my apologies TA and WSJ if this is not permitted)

WSJ: "Since 2007, when the airline transformed itself into an ultra-low-cost carrier, Spirit has gone from the cusp of bankruptcy to, pound for pound, the most profitable airline in the U.S., earning $356 million in less than five years."

Baldanza: "We're 1% of the traffic today. If we triple the size of the airline as we plan to do, we'll be 3% of the traffic. You tell me what percent of the traveling public cares about price above all else. I think it's a lot more than 3%. I don't know if it's 50%, 40%, maybe it's 80%. But it's way more than 3%. We have no demand problem when we have the lowest prices."