We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question re travel insurance with some complications

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 48
question re travel insurance with some complications

We have just purchased tickets for our son and his family to visit us from the US next July. He needs to get travel insurance but he didn't pay for the tickets (does that matter?) and what is the cheapest one off trip insurance that people would recommend. I guess we want to cover inability to fly, loss or theft and illness while travelling.

Any recommendations?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
1. Re: question re travel insurance with some complications

Look at www.insuremytrip.com to compare different agencies & their offerings. We have used Travel Guard, but never had to make a claim (thank goodness). Always look at the fine print of the policy before purchase to make sure of what you are getting & any restrictions.

Edmonton
2. Re: question re travel insurance with some complications

I don't think it mattes who purchased the ticket, but make sure that whatever insurance he gets covers him if he is an Australian citized over here for a while or if he's US citizen it shouldn't matter what he buys. But we sell insurance, but I can't sell insurance for an American from Canada (only if the insurance they want is to vist Canada and need medical while here).

I don't know if he's US or AUD, but it might make a difference in the policy coverage.

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: question re travel insurance with some complications

He is Australian with residency rights in the US. She and grandson are American.

Edmonton
4. Re: question re travel insurance with some complications

Just make sure he buys insurance he is qualified for. No point in paying for something when he couldn't use it anyway. I sell in Canada, so can't help with the US, just wanted to make sure he gets the correct info.

Good luck:)

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: question re travel insurance with some complications

Thanks. Looking through some from the site above and they talk of "money spent by YOU" and of course he hasn't spent it. Said it was complicated.

6. Re: question re travel insurance with some complications

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, December 16, 2013