We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

Winnipeg, Canada
Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

Do they mind if you wear a few extra clothes on to the plane so you can cram more into your carry on Personal Item bag that's free? If they don't, you might be able to take a lot more stuff with you. I heard there were people selling jackets specifically designed with huge pockets for airlines like this. But when they pat you down at the gate, it might raise eyebrows and Spirit has stiff charges for baggage needed at the gate. I'm thinking this is what those gate charges might be for.

Amsterdam, The...
1. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

LOL, that's a novel way of holding down the weight you carry onboard. Must remember that one. :)

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 25
2. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

>At some security checks you have to take coats and shoes off....

norfolk
reviews: 30
3. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

i don't know about this airline, but on a charter flight years ago, all three of us wore two sets of clothes and i had a coat and skirt on top. in florida.....

pam

London, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

I've never heard of anyone being told they are wearing too many clothes. I gues someone may come along and correct, but it would be a first for me.

I guess as long as you can still walk and sit', you can still fit in your seat and your movement is not restricted to cause safety concerns, you can wear as much as you like:))

Raised eyebrows at security is not the same as baggage charges, which are just that, charges for bags. What you have in your pockets is not relevant unless it gets extreme ie so weighed down you can hardly walk.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

I'm sure it will be ok...and as you are flying Spirit the extra clothing may be useful should you be left stranded at the airport.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
6. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

Its amazing what people will do just to save a few pennies :)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
7. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

You take your jacket or vest off ant all checkpoints and it goes through the x-ray.

Some people like scotte vests:

scottevest.com/v3_store/…

but there are others:

amazon.com/Weekender-Weekender%C2%AE-Travele…

Edited: 3:15 pm, November 20, 2012
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 33
8. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

Here is a tip for you.

Don't take anything except your wallet. Upon arrival go to the nearest thrift store (Goodwill, Salvation Army etc) and buy all your clothes. When you get ready to leave go back home donate them back then use the donation as a tax deduction.

tell the hotel the airline lost your bag and they will no doubt give you free toiletres to get you by, tooth brush etc.

Edited: 3:23 pm, November 20, 2012
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 111
9. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

It's not what you can wear on Spirit, but what you can't wear. No short skirts or saggy pants. ;-)

…theweek.com/article/index/229376/8-passenge…

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
10. Re: Spirit: What can you wear on the plane?

You do realize that Spirit is now going to read this and institute a layering charge.

Underwear - $5

Shirt - $10

Slacks/Jeans/Skirt - $10

Cargo pants - $100

2nd shirt/pants - $25

Sweater - $25

Hat - $15

Coat =< 4 pockets - $50

Coat > 4 pockets - $75