We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

London, United...
reviews: 5
If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

I have a round-trip international flight booked with SAS in December. The company is now threatening to close operations if they don't reach resolution with unions. If they do shut down, will my reservation be re-booked on other airlines? Is it insured in any way? Can I claim compensation if my trip is delayed or derailed?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

If an airline closes down, any reservations are lost. If you took out travel insurance before SAS announced it might close, you will probably be insured. If the airline closes, there will be nobody that could pay compensation.

This is an excellent example of why people should take out travel insurance as soon as they make any payments.

australia
reviews: 17
2. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

It appears SAS might be looking to do a Joyce/Qantas type shutdown to bring the unions into line...in the volatile airline industry I cannot see why unions act up so much and around Christmas....blackmail works both ways now

australia
reviews: 17
3. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

Eu regs.I think strikes/shutdown all under extraordinary category but could be wrong:

For cancellation due to extraordinary circumstances you may not have the right to compensation, the carrier must still offer you either:

a ticket refund (in full or just the part you have not used)

alternative transport to your final destination at the earliest opportunity or

rebooking at a later date of your choice (subject to seat availability).

Even in extraordinary circumstances, airlines must provide assistance when necessary, while you are waiting for alternative transport.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island
reviews: 160
4. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

Hopefully you paid by credit card. If so, this should give you protection if everything goes belly-up.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
5. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

If SAS is declared bankrupt - which I doubt they will be - you are on your own re refund and compensation.

South Pole
reviews: 39
6. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

it would be a good travel insurance policy that covered expenses due the financial collapse of a company.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
7. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

The unions have signed new contracts with SAS, so the airline should continue operations for the foreseeable future, let's say 12 to 24 months.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
8. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

>>Even in extraordinary circumstances, airlines must provide assistance when necessary, while you are waiting for alternative transport.<<

If an airline has gone bankrupt, it does not have any funds to pay for assistance or provide compensation.

<<it would be a good travel insurance policy that covered expenses due the financial collapse of a company.<<

When Air Australia collapsed in February, some Australian insurance policies provided some cover.

UK
reviews: 88
9. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

<<it would be a good travel insurance policy that covered expenses due the financial collapse of a company.<<

======

It would be a poor one that didn't. Why woudl you take out a poor insurance policy?

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
10. Re: If SAS shuts down, what happens to my SAS reservation?

Methinks most of you have misunderstood OP's post - she's talking about a staff 'lockout' by management NOT the financial collapse of the airline.....