We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 10
The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

Hi there, has anyone used this feature recently for international travel? How bad was the layover -- how many different connections? I like the fact that I can name a price that's within my budget but I'm travelling with my rugrats and not sure how this will work if we have multiple connections and extended lay-overs.

HELP!

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

Not too useful anymore for airline bookings. If you read their guidelines, it will tell you the most connections you can expect, etc.

Most planes are flying pretty full, and many airlines have cut their routes, so I have not read of many people getting great bargains on "name your own price" for airfare.

You can always find the lowest pricing booking directly with the airline and try. Suggest you go to a site like betterbidding.com, if you haven't already, to learn how to bid.

Las Vegas, Nevada
2. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

Thanks for the reply Gracie-boo. Going through the airlines' websites is very pricey seeing that I'm travelling year end. The disclaimer on Priceline says a maximum of one connection -- but it does qualify that by saying it can be up to a 24 hour layover. Booking this will be a gamble and I'm not a gambler :)

Thanks for your feedback.

UK
3. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

How bad was the layover -- how many different connections? I like the fact that I can name a price that's within my budget but

------

The fact you can name your price doenst in any way imply you'll get your price though.

I have never read a single report here of someone getting a deal on it for flights, plus travelling with small kids I wouldn't even bother, you could end up with something really horrendous.

If you post where you are looking to fly between, and when, and how flexible you can be on dates, people may come up with better suggestions.

Seattle, Washington
4. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

Agree with joeintheuk. Post your routing and dates, and maybe someone can find some acceptable price.

Airlines have no incentive to offer any cheap flights to Priceline at that time of the year. Plane will be full!

Las Vegas, Nevada
5. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

Thanks you guys - here goes.

Departing from LAS 12/26 - MBJ returning 1/4

I am flexible by a day or 2 either way and it doesn't matter where the connecting city is.

*fingers and toes crossed*

Seattle, Washington
6. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

Try using this webpage to search for airfare - try different dates and see if you can do better:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

If you are willing to change the dates, you can get it down to the low $600s.

Depart 24 Dec, return 1 Jan on AA, $657.

Las Vegas, Nevada
7. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

Thanks for the info Gracie-boo -- the only thing is I cant book directly from this site. Can I call the airlines and reference the promo codes or do I have to go through a travel agent?

Edited: 6:25 pm, November 20, 2012
Seattle, Washington
8. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

No, you can book yourself directly through the airline. I've never had a problem simply going to the airline's webpage and matching the flights.

Just realize that sometimes the flight will no longer be available. Good luck!

Las Vegas, Nevada
9. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

Gracie-boo I found the flights, but not at the same price as on the link you sent me. Granted though, they are the cheapest I've seen since the $500 seats I saw back in October (which are gone, long gone). Thanks so much.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
10. Re: The "Name your own price" feature on priceline.com

You can call the airline or go to the travel agent using the fare basis provided by the ITA site. Seats might be sold out for that fare so there is no guarantee.