We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pooling airline miles with other points?

San Francisco...
pooling airline miles with other points?

i have about 12,000 miles on American Airlines. i am wondering if there is any system out there that lets me pool those miles with other points so that I can use them for a free airline ticket.

Is this possible? is there any way to make those American Airline miles useful?

thanks!

kerry

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
1. Re: pooling airline miles with other points?

There is a site called points.com that lets you trade and exchange miles. However, the rate of exchange is definately not very good.

Your best option is to increase your miles by using some of the alternative methods of increasing your miles. Items such as shopping, dining, etc. See below link for further info.

https:/…main.jsp

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
2. Re: pooling airline miles with other points?

The best forum to ask questions about frequent flyer programs is

www.flyertalk.com

The users of that forum know every trick in the book, and if what you want is possible then someone there will know.

UK
reviews: 81
3. Re: pooling airline miles with other points?

lets me pool those miles with other points

-------

Can you give an example of these "other points" to which you refer? What are they?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: pooling airline miles with other points?

'... a free airline ticket.' The key word in that phrase is 'free'. Depending on the terms and conditions of the airline program with which you book, you will have to pay some taxes and fees for the ticket.

Consider as well the cost per Mile when you spend them. Booking a seat for Economy travel for which you 'pay' 15,000 - 20,000 Miles plus about $US100 for taxes and fees will mean a spend of $US400 - 500 in total if the Miles have a value of two cents per Mile.

If a discounted Economy ticket costs $US400 then using the Miles to book may not be the best choice.

If you can book a Business class ticket for 30,000 Miles and $US200 in fees then you'll receive the value of a Business ticket, let's say $US1200, for $US800 a better use of those Miles.

San Francisco...
5. Re: pooling airline miles with other points?

i am not sure. maybe AmEx points, or some other points currency. i am open to finding new ways to make those miles useful, but i am not sure which program(s) might accept those American Airlines miles.

UK
reviews: 81
6. Re: pooling airline miles with other points?

i am not sure. maybe AmEx points, or some other points currency. i am open to finding new ways to make those miles useful, but i am not sure which program(s) might accept those American Airlines miles.

----

Do you actually have Amex points or "some other points currency" ? Without specifics it's hard to give guidance !

14 k miles isn't that many, without an idea of what you'd like to do (for example, save more to geta specific deal, or use them up on one transaction and if so, to where, or upgrade a flight and if so which one etc etc. Did you look on the AA website? They can be used for other things than flights,such as car hire, hotels, flowers, but without having a target in mind it's pointless to double guess you. Diffent advice if you want 6k more, or 66k more.

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
7. Re: pooling airline miles with other points?

I'm not at computer now but I think a one way is 12.5k on AA. You can get a car rental for a day and get 500 miles per rental or something like that.

Edited: 7:31 pm, November 19, 2012
8. Re: pooling airline miles with other points?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, December 16, 2013