We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Multi-city Reservations

Virginia
reviews: 28
BA Multi-city Reservations

Earlier this year we flew from IAD to LHR. Spent an number of days in London then flew RT London to Prague. Spent one more night in London & flew LHR to IAD. This was all on one ticket. At the time we booked the tickets it was cheaper to book all flights on one ticket rather than 2 separate tickets.

The problem I had in booking all flights on one ticket was trying to upgrade just the transatlantic flights to WT+. We saw no reason to upgrade the rt London to Prague because it was such a short flight. And it was very expensive to upgrade all 4 flights.

I called BA & they couldn't help. They told me to check at the airport & perhaps an upgrade would be available on the day we traveled. Fortunately, we were able to get upgrades for both transatlantic flights.

This year we plan to visit London & Budapest so the situation is very much the same. It's too early to book our flights but I am checking prices often. But I really want to book WT+ up front & not have to worry about getting an upgrade at check-in.

I have 2 questions. Is there something I'm missing in booking a multi-clty flight where I can upgrade just the transatlantic flights to WT+?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't book on 2 separate tickets given that there is minimal dependency on making connections? We will be in London 10 nights before our flight to Budapest and another night between arriving from Budapest & leaving for Washington.

Thanks so much for your help.

UK
reviews: 88
1. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

Perhaps you have assumed that because BA couldn't get you an upgrade, that was because it was a multi leg flight, but I am pretty confident its just that there wasn't any availability, WT+ is a pretty small cabin and can fill up.

However, I do recall the question of having different legs in different classes on a multi-city online booking with BA came up a few weeks back, and the answer is that you simply cant do it online, its a website problem, thats all, it can be booked you just need to do it on the phone.

So make sure you know what exact flights you want by checking online to see what the price is if booked as two seperate return flights, to see if it is cheaper booked as one or two (I'd expect booked as one to be cheaper) you'll have to phone to get the price for all one trip in different classes. Then you can decide which is the cheaper and works best for you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

If you book WT+ on an IAD-BUD itinerary it should put you in Euro Traveller and not Club Europe on the intra-European segments. You'll be in a semi-flexible fare bucket but it's not an upgraded class.

If you've got stopovers in London in each direction you can probably get BA to book cheapest available legs over the phone on the LHR-BUD-LHR legs.

Virginia
reviews: 28
3. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

Thanks for the fast responses!

If the single ticket is cheaper when it finally comes time to book I will try calling BA. For our London Prague trip they were not helpful. They told me WT+ was wide open but if I booked on the phone they couldn't give me the cheaper price; it was an internet-only fare. They would however not charge the extra fee for booking via phone. After booking, I continued to call BA but they would only quote a price to upgrade all 4 flights. It was something outrageous like $8000 for the 2 of us.

In fact, for IAD to LHR I was told there were plenty of open seats in WT+ up until the day before we traveled. We were first in line to check in at Dulles but they only had 2 upgrades available due to catering. So there were plenty of WT+ seats available but they remained unfilled. We were lucky to get the upgrade. On the return flight, LHR to IAD, there were a number WT+ seats available when we checked in. We purchased an upgrade & all WT+ seats were ultimately filled; catering didn't seem to be an issue at LHR.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

Sometimes it depends who you get on the other end of the phone. when I get a negative answer from someone I wait until later and phone again, 9 out 0f 10 the answers different than what I got from the first person.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
5. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

Given the fact you are spending some time in London on both ways, you can definitively book on two tickets (and even choose a different airline for the intra-european leg - easyJet and Wizz Air are also servicing this route but not from LHR). And, yes, I would book directly in WT+. If you go for one ticket, as OP2002 mentioned, the system should book eco for the pan-european.

Madrid
reviews: 7
6. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

The problem you have is there is no WT+ on LHR-PRG.BA'scomputer cannot cope with multi-city multi class bookings.If you have time in London on both trips,you may well be better booking this as 2 separate tickets,IAD-LHR-IAD and LHR-PRG-LHR.Just make sure you have plenty of time between the flights.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
7. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

"BA's computer cannot cope with multi-city multi class bookings": are you sure, Rapidex? I've just made a dummy booking using the multi-city tool on BA and asking for WT+, it worked like a charm, proposing of course only economy for the European legs since WT+ is not available on those flights.

Rye, United Kingdom
reviews: 8
8. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

I had a similar problem to this a few weeks ago and posted a similar question. I wanted to upgrade to World Traveller Plus on only part of the trip and in the end I phoned BA direct. I was told that the website did not allow for upgrades on only certain parts of a Multi-city reservation. The only way to do it was over the phone and I would also incur admin fees.

Seems crazy to me but there we go.

UK
reviews: 88
9. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

The only way to do it was over the phone and I would also incur admin fees.

=====

You "should" be able to get them to waive an admin fee if there is something that cant be done online.

10. Re: BA Multi-city Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, December 16, 2013