We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking flights from the UK to the USA

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
153 reviews
Booking flights from the UK to the USA

I am in the process of booking flights from the UK to USA for spring 2013.

Before I start reading the small print are there any additional pitfalls for UK citizens booking US carriers as opposed to UK carriers that I should be aware of.

Am I right in assuming that their isn't a great deal of difference between the airlines when it comes to facilities in Economy Class?

UK
Level Contributor
47,730 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

are there any additional pitfalls for UK citizens booking US carriers as opposed to UK carriers that I should be aware of.

Am I right in assuming that their isn't a great deal of difference between the airlines when it comes to facilities in Economy Class?

---------

No and yes in that order.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,113 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

Very little difference in basic economy; however, I find BA's premium economy (World Traveler Plus??) much more comfortable than other economy options.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
13,450 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

"Before I start reading the small print are there any additional pitfalls for UK citizens booking US carriers as opposed to UK carriers that I should be aware of."

One possible difference is the provisions of EU 261/2004 which comes into play in the event of a delay/cancellation. Booking with a UK carrier means both your outbound/inbound flights are covered by EU 261. Booking with a US carrier means only your outbound flight is covered.

It probably wont come into play but it would make a difference if you were stuck in the US because your return flight was delayed/cancelled - the chances of it happening are relatively low but the impact can be relatively high if you're left to sort out your own meals/hotels etc.

UK
Level Contributor
47,730 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

Excellent point Tom, I'd forgotten that.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
13,450 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

joe

It's just something that's on my agenda at the moment and one of the factor's that I'll be taking into account when hopefully I get round to booking flights for my next trip to the US - it's a plus point in favour of using BA over AA/United etc.

I know it's not likely to be needed but it's nice to know it's there just in case.

Colico, Lombardia...
12 posts
6. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

Remember that it's the operating carrier's national registration that counts, not the carrier with from which you may have purchased the ticket. On "code sharing" flights this could mean you're covered when you think you might not be, or, conversely, you're not covered when you think your are! Be careful!

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
153 reviews
7. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

Thankyou for your help and information. I booked with BA in the end mainly because they had a really good booking system that enabled me to book 3 weeks car hire at least £200 cheaper than any other company or scheme. That saving tipped the balance.

Thanks again,

Andy

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
8. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

Hi again Andy.

That is interesting? When ever I've priced it, BA's combination via AVIS, has never matched what I can get through my favourite rental car brokers? DId you book the one-way trip in the end? Maybe that was it?

Edited: 9:08 am, November 21, 2012
Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
153 reviews
9. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

Yes, the car's booked one way from Atlanta GA to DC for a day short of 3 weeks.

I'd be interested to check whether I've made the most economic choice for future trips to the States, do you mind letting me know who you use for car rental?

Suprisingly BA was also cheaper re the hotels than any 3rd party site I checked with, or indedd the hotel's own sites.

Andy

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
102 reviews
10. Re: Booking flights from the UK to the USA

I've just returned from the States and also booked car hire via BA site. It was cheaper than others, we add all the CDW's to waive all excesses and it was cheaper. We found a lot if sites still have excesses and once you add super CDW they become more expensive.