We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

Connecticut, USA
reviews: 8
Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

We will be flying from Boston to Asia with an initial stop at London Heathrow on BA arriving about 8 pm local time on a thursday in April. Then we have a choice to continue on BA to Bangkok on a nonstop flight leaving london on Friday night at 10 pm arriving saturday afternoon at 3 pm, or we can take a nonstop Thai Airways flight leaving 12 noon on Friday arriving Saturday morning at 6:30. In either case, we are fine just checking into a decent hotel near Heathrow Thursday night and resting there since we are spending a few days in London on the way back. Price wise it is slightly cheaper to stay with BA for all of the legs of our trip, but the 11 hour Thai Airways flight is during the day. Therefore, it won't be an "overnight" flight for our body clocks and we will have basically a full day in Bangkok to add to our schedule. I gather that Thai Airways safety record is much improved since the problems of the 1990s also. Any recommendations as to which airline to use for this connection would be appreciated.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 127
1. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

You might try posting this in the Air Travel forum.

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

Check passenger comments on both airlines www.airlinequality.com

Flying West to East we always check for a day flight, which helps counter jetlag.

Edited: 2:53 am, November 19, 2012
Massachusetts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
3. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

... moved from London forum to Air Travel

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

Both are good airlines; though my last long haul experience with BA was 6 years ago everything I've read indicates it's still good.

Personally I'd fly Thai, as their economy legroom (seat pitch) is a very roomy 34" ** (that's the joint best in the industry for ordinary economy). Both airlines now have in seat video on all aircraft.

Though, if you are a BA, AA or OneWorld frequent flier I'd stick with BA as you'd get lots of miles and elite status miles/points.

Also note that Eva also flies LHR-BKK and are generally well regarded too.

** - on Thai's A340-600 some of the seats on the left side of the plane are only 32" pitch. Still ok but much better to get the extra legroom.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 138
5. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

They are both good airlines so I would go with the schedule that suits you best.

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

If you transit a UK airport, you'll be liable for Air Passenger Duty which will add £81 per passenger (about $129) to the cost of your flight. See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty

If you haven't booked yet, consider a Delta flight to Amsterdam Schiphol, then a China Airlines direct flight to Bangkok. The Delta flight will cost about $1145 and the China Airlines 802 Euros (about $1026). The China Airlines flight departs AMS at 14:05 and arrives BKK at 06:15. See: https:/…itinerary.asp

The Dutch government abolished the equivalent APD called "Vliegtaks" (meaning Flight Tax) in July 2009.

norfolk
reviews: 30
7. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

both flights are likely to be treated as 'night' flights by the crew. a drink and a meal shortly after take off, then the cabin darkened [and generally, the heating turned up]. the flight will mess you up, which ever one you take.

with the leg-room, it depends what type of seats they use. i fly malaysian which has, allegedly, 34" pitch, and ba which claims 31". i find ba more comfortable, with better legroom!

depending on the hotel, you will probably find if you land at 6.30 a.m., you will spend your 'extra' day waiting to get your room. check in is nominally 2 or 3 pm., if you arrive early they may say your room will be ready soon. but their 'soon' is not like mine... we usually ask to use the pool, then we can shower and change at least. have the necessary stuff in your carryon.

pam

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
8. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

Thai Airways :)

In my opinion without a doubt Thai Airways. For service, quality, comfort, food, style.

They have twice daily flights on that route

Connecticut, USA
reviews: 8
9. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

Thanks for that link. The way I read the air passenger duty summary, if I arrive at 7 pm thursday on BA but leave by 12 pm on Thai airways on Friday, it won't apply since I won't be considered to be transiting the UK for 24 hours. I guess that is another benefit to selecting Thai Airways over BA since the only BA flight to Bangkok that leaves within 24 hours would require us to leave Thursday night at 10 pm which is only about 2 and a half hours after arriving in Heathrow. Almost like 18 straight hours of flying which is too much for me.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
10. Re: Fly BA or Thai Airways to Bangkok?

Thai have morning and late evening departures from London, on the return from Bangkok they have daytime and overnight.

Have you also from Boston looked at European airlines such as Swiss, I know from Boston you don't have any of the Gulf carriers that fly out of JFK, pity as they have lots of flights into Bangkok via their Gulf hubs and offer fine service