We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

Plymouth, United...
reviews: 70
Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

Ive booked flights with Singapore Airlines a couple months ago for April 2013 from UK to Brisbane return. I requested that me and the hubs be seated in the upper deck window seats on the UK-SIN flight as i like the fact that its just 2 seats together rather than 3 - i can see that these seats have been allocated to us on the seat map on the SA website.

I know that our seats could be reallocated if there was a plane change but my question is has anyone not been given the seats they had chosen on their orginal booking when it came to checking in online? Or do you generally get the same seat when you check in that shows on the seat map that you originally booked?

46 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

I've only flown Singapore once, and I had no issues with my seat assignment. But I fly a lot on other airlines; and I never have an issue retaining my seat selection. I do usually check, maybe too often. But, as stated, aircraft changes are really the only reason I might see a seat change.

Manchester
reviews: 32
2. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

Unless there is a change of aircraft you will get the seats you booked. However I would recommend going to manage my booking every few weeks ago- any change would be shown there, I would imagine they will aoutomatically give you similar if there is a change.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 44
3. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

We were booked upper deck to Paris with Singapore but the upper deck was changed to first class and when I checked on my Kris flyer account we had no seats selected.

Had to ring Singapore to get new seats but apart from that we`ve always got the selected seats when we booked direct with the airline.

Pays to keep an eye on things as we weren`t notified and there wouldn`t have been many seats to choose from close to departure.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
4. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

2 out of the 3 SQ A380 flight out of London are all Bussiness upper deck ( first is on the lower deck), so there might be a possibility they may have to swap A380 around.

Plymouth, United...
reviews: 70
5. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

Thanks for the responses - i feel a bit more reassured now!

Wellington, New...
reviews: 38
6. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

They pulled that trick on me once, denied my aisle seat reservation existed and tried to sit me in a middle seat, this led to a rather bitter and heated argument as they had already stuffed up twice on that trip. In the end I was upgraded to business class but their check in desk behaviour at changi left a lot to be desired

Edited: 3:59 pm, November 18, 2012
7. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, November 18, 2012
Edited: 4:35 pm, November 18, 2012

Buckingham, United...
reviews: 74
8. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

We've flown London to Auckland, New Zealand several times with Singapore and the London-Changi portion on the A380.

Always book online and choose our seats at that time, they've never changed or swapped on us.

Have a great flight and holiday.

Denver, CO
9. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

They changed my friend and I from our reserved seats to random seats that aren't even in the same row on our flight tomorrow. I'm anticipating a long and bitter argument with the check-in counter at LAX tomorrow.

Sydney, Australia
10. Re: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map

It seems that there has been a recent change of policy, I have flown Sydney Munich return economy every year for the past 3 years and have always been able to select my seats when i did the booking. Today when I tried to book for August 2013 the system would not let me do that, there was a message to call Singapore Air which I did, they said that most of the seats are now blocked until just before departure but that I could request a specific economy seat but there was no guarantee I would get it. I called back again to speak to another person in case i had misunderstood but got the same response. It seems like a crazy policy, instead of using the computer system that has worked so well you now need to call and even then there is no guarantee you will get the seats you want.

Reply to: Singapore airlines - seat allocation on seating map
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted