We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

livingston, SCOTLAND
reviews: 4
Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

Can anyone tell me if I book my flights from Newcastle to Thunderbay, Canada through Opodo's website am I covered for delays resulting in me missing a connecting flight? The savings not booking direct with Air Canada are HUGE!!! £1500+

Newcastle-Heathrow

Heathrow-Toronto

Toronto-Thunderbay

If a flight is delayed will the airline automatically put us on the next available flight or do I have some serious problems to overcome?

Does my luggage go straight through to Toronto or will I have to check it in again at Heathrow?

Please help???

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

Who are the flights with?

livingston, SCOTLAND
reviews: 4
2. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

Newcastle to heathrow - Air Canada operated by BA

Heathrow to Toronto - Air Canada

Toronto to Thunderbay - Westjet (Air Canada)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
3. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

As they are all with the same airline you will be put on the next available flight if the incoming flight is delayed and you don't make it but I would check out the Opodo flights again as that seems like too much of a difference to me and you may find that when you start the booking process they will say the flight price has changed, I've seen this many times with Opodo and other 3rd party websites.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

"As they are all with the same airline..."

They're not. They are with three separate airlines.

Air Canada does not codeshare or interline with Westjet (indeed they are fierce rivals). It looks like Opodo is putting together different segments and selling them as one ticket when it really isn't.

Newcastle to Toronto will be fine as BA and AC do interline, so the connection in Heathrow will be protected. I am not so sure about the one in Toronto.

Edited: 3:34 am, November 14, 2012
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
5. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

Although you have said you are booking the flights through Opodo you have not made it absolutely clear whether these are a single ticket or not as this will determine the level of protection you have in the event of a missed connection.

You also need to be aware tat the "next available flight" means a flight with empty seats as airlines are not required to bump passengers from full flights to seat delayed passengers.

Leicester, United...
6. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

"you have not made it absolutely clear whether these are a single ticket or not"

That is actually the question the OP is asking and the answer is that it's highly unlikely that it's a single ticket as AC does not sell Westjet flights and vice-versa.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
7. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

Check with Opodo. I'd surprised if they are trying to sell you separate tickets and pass it on as if it's all on one ticket but better to find out before booking.

Leicester, United...
8. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

"I'd surprised if they are trying to sell you separate tickets and pass it on as if it's all on one ticket"

These agents do that all the time. It is pretty much impossible that it's a single ticket as WS and AC don't codeshare or interline.

What they have done is proposed BA/AC which can be sold as a single ticket on that route, then tacked on a WS flight because WS is cheaper than AC from Toronto to Thunder Bay. There will be two separate ticket numbers. AFAIK it's the only way that this routing on these airlines can be issued.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
9. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

<<Toronto to Thunderbay - Westjet (Air Canada)>> Not sure what that means. WJ and AC are competitors. They don't even share the time of day.

But if you get your Toronto to Thunder Bay flight changed to an Air Canada flight, you should be on one ticket for all three legs. There are several non stop flights a day from Toronto to TB. You'll pay more for AC than either Porter or WJ. Make sure it is one ticket number. Watch Opodo like a hawk.

I think you should allow 3 hours to change planes at Heathrow. And I don't know if you have to handle your luggage there, but I don't believe so. But in Toronto and on Air Canada on one ticket, your luggage will be checked right through to final destination.

To answer your original question. If you are booked on one ticket, you will not be responsible if you miss your flight. Just don't go off to the pub and overstep your connection time. :-)

Edited: 5:11 am, November 14, 2012
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: Booking through Opodo, Newcastle to Thunderbay (Canada)

"These agents do that all the time."

Some do but the more reputable sites generally don't, at least not unless they make the associated risks clear to the customer. I would have guessed Opodo falls in the latter category but as I said, better to check to make sure.