We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home made fruit cake

United Kingdom
Home made fruit cake

My wife has made a cake for my niece in america as its her 40th birthday. Her mother my sister is intending to put it in her suit case which will go into the hold

It has been wrapped in birthday paper

Will this be an issue

63 replies to this topic
South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Home made fruit cake

nope

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Cheshire
2. Re: Home made fruit cake

Hmm - I'm not so sure, The rules on food imports are complex and US Customs might have an issue with it. This is the latest from their website:

<<Bringing Food into the U.S. (08/30/2012)

We regret that it is necessary to take agricultural items from your baggage. They cannot be brought into the United States because they may carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials.>>

cbp.gov/xp/…arriving_travelers.xml

I can't say for definite that the cake will be banned and you can do a couple of things: Do some more research (although it is hard to find what is and isn't allowed). Or bring the cake, declare it on your customs form when you enter and take a chance. If I was you, I would take it and declare it on the form but not be too upset if it does get confiscated.

Good luck.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Home made fruit cake

It has been wrapped in birthday paper

Will this be an issue

=========

No, wrapping it in birthday paper is fine.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
4. Re: Home made fruit cake

"I would take it and declare it on the form but not be too upset if it does get confiscated."

If it is confiscated, then you would hope it was because it broke the rules, not just some hungry TSA agents fancied the cake ;-)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
5. Re: Home made fruit cake

"some hungry TSA agents fancied the cake ;-)" I doubt it, Americans in general do not care for fruit cake. A few do but they tend to be those stained glass window cakes that are almost all fruit and not much cake.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
6. Re: Home made fruit cake

There could be several possible issues:

The wrapping might have to be removed if they want to inspect it. Consider leaving it unwrapped and wrap it when you get to your destination.

Some dense foods can appear to be explosives on the baggage scan - this could also lead to it being inspected. I would make sure it is double wrapped to ensure they don't contaminate it with dirty hands/gloves.

Customs might have issues with it - don't be surprised if a friendly beagle sniffs out your bag in the customs hall. As it is baked, I would think that would satisfy them enough about any potential parasites being eliminated.

Plano TX
reviews: 49
7. Re: Home made fruit cake

"Americans in general do not care for fruit cake. A few do but they tend to be those stained glass window cakes that are almost all fruit and not much cake"

I have to agree with this. While I personally love a good fruitcake, these are often not very popular. However, that is neither here nor there. Maybe you can consider shipping it overnight or 2 day? Those fruitcakes are pretty hardy and could probably survive the trip!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: Home made fruit cake

Don't use marzipan - it smells like some explosives. Don't want the Daily Mail to run a story about how the Americans blew up a cake

Canada
reviews: 40
9. Re: Home made fruit cake

Do not wrap - that way if they do open suitcase, they will see what it is! Take the wrap paper, and wrap when you arrive.

South Pole
reviews: 39
10. Re: Home made fruit cake

there are no issues at all. i have been bringing fruit cake and plum puddings into the usa for years.

Reply to: Home made fruit cake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted