We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

london
reviews: 2
Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

I'm flying this week London to Melbourne. I know the luggage limit for economy is 20kg, but how strict are they in enforcing this limit?

We have weighed our bags, we have 2 as I am flying with my husband and both are 2-3 kg over.

Their excess rates are pricey at £47 per kg. I'm just wondering do I repack the extra kg to our hand luggage or hope for the best. ;)

12 replies to this topic
australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

They enforce it...saw passengers in London emptying suitcases into the bin not their hand luggage

Edited: 7:35 pm, November 12, 2012
australia
2. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

Ditch your toiletries they normally weigh the most. Do as my sister does...empty cleansers etc onto smaller plastics bottles

london
reviews: 2
3. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

Jagjetfly, appreciate the response. I was actually after personal experiences of how each luggage weight case was handled,seeing people repacking their luggage could be due to a number of reasons, ie. being overly over the limit.

This was my experience should others also have a query.I flew out a few days with my husband, we had 21.8 & 23.5 kg suitcases, both went through fine. We had hand luggage as well, 9kg and 6kg which were not weighed. She just asked what we had and looked to see that it wasn't too much. In addition my husband had a bag containing our camera equipment, probably another 4kg and I had my hand bad with my laptop and iPad so another heavy bag of similar weight.

Seeing other people check in with 24kg and 22kg were all handled fine, with no questions to pay for extra weight.

We did arrive early, we were in the first dozen people processed for our flight, so having done this and hoping for the best, all worked out!

australia
4. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

"We did arrive early, we were in the first dozen people processed for our flight, so having done this and hoping for the best, all worked out!"

This may well be the reason...I was at the back of the queue standing there for 1.5 hours watching... was the flight full all the way to Australia?

Royal Brunei have lost quite a bit of revenue by letting you on overweight. I hope you aren't going to be flying with Jetstar or Tiger and try the same in OZ

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
5. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

1. Is there any restriction on the size/weight of a ladies handbag (not hand luggage)?

2. With regards to hand luggage, what are the restrictions on toiletries/cosmetics carried on board?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 33
6. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

My daughter flew MEL to LON last week and we had last minute panic as the web site stated 20kg checked luggage for economy but her ticket, purchased from Expedia stated 30kg. She was prepared for an argument but check in process went smoothly with no comments. Don't know if mistake was made with 30kg on ticket. Her carry on bag was also over the specified 7kg but they made allowance for her lap top. They do only allow 1 carry-on bag so no bag plus handbag. Usual restrictions on liquids being in snap lock 20 x 20 bag and no container over 100mls.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
7. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

Moira- are you enquiring regarding Royal Brunei Airlines or another airline?

In any case, _if_ a handbag is permitted in addition to a carry on bag, the total weight of both items is the limit, not the size of the handbag. I've been lucky and never had my handbag weighed, but I am aware it could happen and if overweight the airline could insist on my paying for excess weight.

Some airlines permit only _one_ carry on item, whether it is a suitcase or a handbag. In this case you would be have to place your handbag inside your carry on case.

For all international flights, no liquid or gel (think lipstick, toothpaste, hand cream etc) item can be in a container larger than 100mls (for instance if you have a large tube of toothpaste with only a little bit in it, it will be tossed), and no more than 1 litre total of these. You need a large clear ziplock bag to carry these in to show at security screening on your way to the gate.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
8. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

It depends on the airline but if they allow a carry on bag and a handbag it will all have to be under the weight limit.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

Can you please tell me my weight allowance for economy ? Our tickets say 30 kilo but is it 20 kilo i don't want a overweight charge. thank you for your help

Magog, Canada
reviews: 551
10. Re: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?

It is whatever your ticket says. We do not have more information than you do.

Reply to: Royal Brunei airlines - luggage weight restrictions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted