We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CheapOAir Question

Bloomington, Indiana
CheapOAir Question

Good evening, folks!

So here's my story: I'm travelling to Ghana on a service trip this December with a group. We just all individually booked our flights, with the majority of us using COA. Personally, I've never used COA before but have usually opted for kayak or have used the airline websites directly.

Alas, given the lower rates, I booked with COA this time 'round.

As of right now, there hasn't been a problem. I received a prompt confirmation email with all of my flight booking numbers. After reading some horror stories in these forums and others, I then went to the individual airline websites (AA, British Airways, Turkish Airlines, etc) and looked up my record/booking numbers. My information is listed on all of them, and they all seem to be confirmed. I even called AA to confirm with a representative that I was actually booked.

Have any of you had COA experiences like mine so far? If so, did all turn out well? I've been reading about COA waiting a few days to send you an email saying that the price has increased; has this happened to you guys? Is it likely to happen to me given that my flights are confirmed on all of these individual airline websites? Furthermore, I confirmed with the AA representative that the total cost of my flight was, indeed, $2103.80. Given that my total has been confirmed by an airline rep himself, is it likely that I'll receive an email from COA saying that the price has gone up? If this should happen, hypothetically, how should I proceed?

The only negatives I've experienced so far were that I was not asked for passport and personal information other than name/gender/birthdate; that I cannot choose my seats until the day before departure; and that my first and middle names have been listed together as my first name (the AA rep said this would be okay).

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: CheapOAir Question

No personal experience and I'd never book with them - put cheapoair in the search box and read about all the potential problems you might encounter at any point until you actually get on the flight.

Having booked with them you can only hope for the best.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: CheapOAir Question

If you have confirmed with the airline that you are listed on the flight then you (may) be one of the lucky ones.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
3. Re: CheapOAir Question

There is no need to provide API (advance passenger information) at the time of booking, but you will have to provide that to the airline - not to cheapoair.com - at OLCI or at the airport.

British Airways allows seat selection free of charge at OLCI, but you may be able to choose a seat (for a fee) before that time. AA and TY may allow seat selection before OLCI as well. You will need PNRs (pax name record or locator codes) from the airlines in order to use OLCI; AA's PNR may not work for check in with BA and vice versa. You may obtain the PNRs from the airlines.

Has cheapoair.com booked the flights, and has your credit card been charged? If so, and if all airlines confirm the booking then all should be in order and no further payment should be needed.

If cheapoair.com claim that the fare is different from that quoted then thank the rep, say you no longer wish to proceed with the booking, get a cancellation number or code and book with the airlines, or a more reputable travel provider.

'Alas, given the lower rates, I booked with COA this time 'round.' As you discovered, there was no difference in fare when booked directly with the airline than with a slightly dodgy third party provider.

Bear in mind that any flight changes are your responsibility. Keep an eye on the bookings, and ensure the airlines have your email address and telephone number.

Edited: 4:59 pm, November 12, 2012
UK
reviews: 89
4. Re: CheapOAir Question

The only negatives I've experienced so far were that I was not asked for passport and personal information other than name/gender/birthdate; that I cannot choose my seats until the day before departure; and that my first and middle names have been listed together as my first name (the AA rep said this would be okay).

======

None of those are anything to do with COA.

You should have two emails from COA, one confirming receipt of you booking, the second confirming (or raising) the price. It sounds as if you had this second one as well, so you are good to go.

5. Re: CheapOAir Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 26, 2013