We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Airways A380 customer service

Thai Airways A380 customer service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 pm, January 02, 2014
South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service

at least u got there in one piece.

that's my priority on any flight.

getting something to drink and the seats i asked for is of secondary importance.

as for aplogies? who cares. it's only lip service and the occasiional free points.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
2. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service

Hi,

As far as the seating goes-- while not mandatory, I do agree that's it' somewhat bad "form" so to speak to bump someone out of their previously assigned seats..

That said, I do note that Thai, like most all carriers, do have that right to move you, without notice, nor with any compensation due.. So, from a "can they do that" basis, the answer is yes.. and who they bump you out for is, as such, largely irrelevant.. but I do think that when it's done, there's no harm, and in is a good move to make a sincere apology for doing so.

I'm somewhat surprised that no alcohol served as Thai is an alcohol serving carrier.. and the BKK-HKG v,v. sectors-- all services are planned as a full 1.0 meal service which includes there normal pre- and post beverage offering..

The only things I can think of is that there was a special catering program for that specific flight due to either ground issues or a special theme (Thai does change their catering due to short term specials like the birthday of His Majesty, the King of Thailand and Thai New Years) .. But... October 26th wasn't the launch date-- that was just over 3 weeks earlier... So I think there must have been some other issues that were in play..

Travel Safe,

3. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

4. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service

Bangkok
Destination Expert
5. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service

Hi,

"As stated Thai ticketing at Bangkok would not discuss the change of seats,nor place us back in our original reserved seats on Upper Deck.Been... There seems to have been some underhand dealings with the seating on the Thai a380, in the absence of any plausible satisfactory explanation from Thai,"

Naturally, absent an answer you find acceptable, you'd view it as such.. that's understandable.. but may... or may not, be an accurate reflection of the reality..

I think one of the issues here is that a ticketing agent-- or someone OTHER THAN the person or department that made the change, probably won't know WHY it was done..

Most carriers' systems don't have the ability to leave a "note" if you will, for "why" a seat change was done.. They usually can see who, or what department made the change- and when, bu rarely does that include a 'why'...

So, to that end, I can, to a degree, understand why you weren't able to get a better or full explanation for the switch.. frustrating for sure, but I think it's somewhat of a limitation of the system capability as it's geared to operational needs and not so much to narratives or notes..

---

As far as "... nor place us back in our original reserved seats on Upper Deck..." goes.. My guess is, like you, without being privy to the full facts, that the upper decks eats were gone.. period.. reassigned to someone else, for some unknown reason.... So there was no "going back to upper deck" as an option.. From there it's just a matter of finding two seats for you on the lower deck.

One of the problems with seat changes on full flights like this-- is that IF a change is made-- and IF that change is made rather close to departure time, it can be very hard to find alternate seats-- like 2 side-by-side-- that are open and remaining to move you to..

...and another ugly truth is that at that point the airline has really only "upset" if you will, two people.. that's you and your traveling partner... but IF they then bump someone ELSE from THEIR seats to re-accommodate you, NOW they'll have probably upset FOUR people.. You and your traveling partner, PLUS the two people who YOU will now displace..

So, to a degree, i can understand why they couldn't or wouldn't move you unless there was two seats open without having to displace another set of passengers..

While of no consequence to you, but I think as you know and have noted earlier. these situations do overall tend to be very uncommon... granted HOW they are handled can either minimize this or exacerbate it.. but I also think that given why these kinds of changes tend to be made, the time-frame in which they are usually made-- and recognizing that for many carriers, their overall passenger loads are high, this makes finding an alternative that doesn't add to the displacement problem hard.

Travel Safe,

6. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service

South Pole
reviews: 39
7. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service

"So it is Okay for Thai Airways to bump passengers out of their confirmed seats"

no seats are ever guaranteed.

all airlines change passengers seats at some time for whatever reason.

i really dont think anniversaries, honeymoons, birthdays etc rate too high on airlines' operations any more.

but really, i think u are now obsessing. the flight is over. time to move on.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
8. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service

"as stated this was a special flight A380 for my wifes birthday,does this mean nothing in keeping seating and flights confirmed."

No. it doesn't. Sorry. I know you're upset about having your seats changed, but chances are there were 50 other people on the flight on honeymoon, having a birthday, celebrating a divorce etc etc.

It's nice sometimes when the crew does something nice if they're notified of that, but usually you shouldn't expect anything at all.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
9. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service

Hi,

"So it is Okay for Thai Airways to bump passengers out of their confirmed seats"

==> Yes.. That is their (as well as almost all other carriers) sole right to do so.. and at their sole discretion and without notice..

"... dont genuine respectable frequent flyers have the right to expect good service and be informed of any changes."

==> I think ALL passengers; genuine or not, respectable or not; deserve the same service.. I think you DO have a reasonable expectation to be informed of changes when they occur relative to the time-frame in which they occur.. However, this does not alter their ABILITY or RIGHTS to do so.. it only speaks to what should be a notification part when and if these events happen.

"Are we second class citizens; perhaps someone in authority at Thai Airways would like to say something about this matter, I cannot believe that Thai Airways a once respected Airline,would treat bona fide passengers in this way. Or am I being naive.?"

==> No, you're not a second class passenger.. you are a passenger just like anyone else with the same baseline contractual and legal rights as anyone else in the same position should have....

However, I think the ugly reality is that flying is NOT an egalitarian event.. Not everyone on that plane is seen or valued the same to the carrier.. Some passengers have paid far more, some far less, for fundamentally the same thing (this refers to different fares classes within the same cabin)...

... and to this point, when decisions have to me made that may result in a passenger dis-servicing event, I think it is very acceptable to take these economic measures into place when deciding the outcome.. again, recognizing that it's not egalitarian.

"Malaysia airlines, Singapore airlines, and Emirates have all been brilliant, am I to assume that THAI no longer have any interest in the welfare of the paying public in getting a good deal and good service.."

==> I doubt that's Thai's position and I'd be wary of operating under such an assumption.. I suspect that's how you feel or feel now after the recent events, but I think it was simply a case of they had or wanted to make a change-- for whatever reason-- and the net impact of that change is that it had a negative impact on you.. nothing more, nothing less... and in the end, related to seating, as noted by other, that is their sole right to do..

"as stated this was a special flight A380 for my wifes birthday,does this mean nothing in keeping seating and flights confirmed."

==> As noted by other, another ugly truth.. No.. it means nothing to them.. I think in fairness, everyone on that plane probbaly had something 'special' to get to, and therefore the reason for travel... the degree of specialness is of course subjective and I think prioritizing them is impossible.

"I suspect that THAI ,if having been informed of all of the details,would be disappointed that THEY have let down 2 of their passengers on such an occasion."

==> I agree... I think most carriers obviously aim for 100% satisfaction.. BUT... I also think that reality says there will unfortunately be times and situations (some avoidable, some not) where this just is not going to be possible or happen....

So I think they're realists too.. I think they aim to please as many as they can, within the operational reality, cost reality, and scope of what an airline operation is and all the inter-dependent parts that are involved.

If you were to ask me, what do *I* think is the largest failure here (within the context of what's presented).. I would say the no notification part..

While not required, I think by doing so, 1) gives the passenger advance notice that it's happened and 2) as much time as possible to find alternatives if that's possible or something the passenger chooses to avail.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 5:25 am, November 18, 2012
10. Re: Thai Airways A380 customer service