We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skipping the last leg of the flight.

Sheffield, United...
Skipping the last leg of the flight.

I am in UK and planning go to China during Christmas. I found a great deal (British Airway) but it leaves from Brussels, and transfers in London and arrives Beijing (Brussels-London-Beijing). I have to apply a Schengen visa in order to get in Belgium. But if they only give me ONE-ENTRY visa, I will not able to enter twice. I am wondering if I can simply not take the last leg of the return flight (i.e. London-Brussels) so that I can avoid the visa thing and come back to UK directly. Will some penalties apply for not getting on the flight? Can I get my luggage from the flight, otherwise it will go to Brussels with plane.

Thank you very much!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

That is not allowed for obvious reasons and your luggage will be checked through to Brussels.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
2. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

Not such a great deal if the plane doesn't go where you need to fly.

UK
reviews: 13
3. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

Not sure about the visa, but you have to book the flight and make London a stopover on the way back, you should then be able to get your luggage.

However, you may, or may not, find that BA then send you a bill for the fare difference. Airlines are now more aware of this happening, some are having people check and send out bills. If they do try and get the true price of your flight it will not be a discounted economy price, but full fare, which will be a lot more. What you are really asking is can you commit fraud. Airlines should always persue people who do this.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

By the time you've paid for the visa and bought tickets (and possibly accommodation) to get to Brussels will you save any money? You are certain to be put to extra inconvenience.

But assuming it is worth while have you checked a multi-city / open-jaws ticket so you fly from Brussels and return to London - or checked for flights with another airline like KLM, Air France or Brussels where you'd be able to stay airside at Amsterdam, Paris or Brussels and avoid the need for a Schengen visa

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 20
5. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

It sounds like you could really use the expert advice of a travel agent who specializes in air. They will charge you a small fee, which you will know about upfront, but will get you the best rate with the least hassle. Keep in mind that they do this day in and day out for a living. Good luck and have fun.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

If you are unable to get the appropriate visa to enter Belgium for your return flight it is unlikely that you will be permitted to board the plane in Beijing.

Madrid
reviews: 7
7. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

HarleyB is correct.If you are ticketed to Brussels and do not posses the correct visa,you will not be permitted to board the flight in Beijing.

If you change your destination to London whilst in Beijing,you will be reticketed at the higher fare.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
8. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

In addition to the earlier points there is always the possibility that BA could revise the schedule so you still get to Brussels (your ticketed destination) but no longer via London.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent
reviews: 72
9. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

OP, I am intrigued... why can you only get a one way visa from Belguim to China? Especially if you have a return flight ticket on a UK carrier?

London, United...
reviews: 23
10. Re: Skipping the last leg of the flight.

I'm intrigued too. Obviously you are not British, and I currently live in Brussels, ( am british) but why can you not get a visa to return? That seems very weird to me.