We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 1
Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

My flight on 1st Nov from Sal (Cape Verde) to Gatwick was delayed by 18 hours. We took off three hours late from Sal to then be told by the pilot we were flying to Tenerife to overnight as the cabin staff didnt have enough hours left on there shift to get us back to London. We eventially departed Tenerife at 1430 the next afternoon. With two small children in tow I found this whole experience absolutely exhausting after what had been fantastic holiday.

Does anyone know if we are entitled to compensation for this delay?

Madrid
reviews: 7
1. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

Which Airline?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
2. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

The reason why the departure from Cape Verde was delayed resulting in the diversion to Tenerife (because the crew ran out of hours) will be critical although I'm a little surprised they even took off as it would have been clear before departure that they would not have enough hours to complete the flight back to the UK.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
3. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

tripadvisor.co.uk/…45180573

Glasgow, United...
4. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

Thomson Airways owned by TUI (German).

Glasgow, United...
5. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

I know thats what we thought! They must have known before they even departed from Gatwick that day that they wouldnt make it back. They had to accomodate 300 passengers in Tenerife!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
6. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

That could be the reason why. Possibly easier to accommodate a plane load of passengers in Tenerife.

As TomC says - were you told what the reason for the initial delay was?

York, United Kingdom
reviews: 30
7. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

Morning! Update on our claim for compensation - Thomson rejected the claim yesterday in a 3 page letter quoting all sorts of legal cases. After 5 months of corresponding with them they're now claiming that the 'root of the problem' was a technical problem that occurred on another aircraft in the UK which had a knock on effect on our flight / crew. This is the first time in 5 months they've mentioned anything about a technical problem! And, unsurprisingly, they are claiming that it's not covered by the eu regulations because it wasn't something that would've been picked up in routine maintenance checks!!... I've emailed the MD - David Burling, copying in their press office (incidentally I work in media), I've also sent an email on to the CAA, bbc watchdog and columnist for the telegraph - Jessica Gorst Williams. I'd urge others in the forum to do this too, as the more complaints they get the more likely they are to follow up. What surprises me is that, if they knew about this problem before they left the uk and were able to sort out accommodation for 328 passengers in Tenerife overnight, why didn't they get a new crew before they left the uk?! Ultimately, the responsibility still lies with them. What's more, the 'technical problem' was on another plane, so what's that got to do with us? Would be interested to hear anyone else's view. Extremely angry about the whole way they have dealt with our complaint. Fiona

Madrid
reviews: 7
8. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

Like many other people,you may be required to claim in the small claims court.

The good news is the airlines seem to be paying up prior to court,or loosing.Just a long winded way to get your money.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
9. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

"After 5 months of corresponding with them they're now claiming that the 'root of the problem' was a technical problem that occurred on another aircraft in the UK which had a knock on effect on our flight / crew. "

Technical problems are almost never extraordinary circumstances. I think you'd have a good chance of winning if you take them to small claims court.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 8
10. Re: Claiming flight dealy compensation...........

>>>Technical problems are almost never extraordinary circumstances. I think you'd have a good chance of winning if you take them to small claims court.<<<

And technical problems with another aircraft unrelated to the one on which you flew is absolutely no defence!!!

Get answers to your questions