We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

Redland City...
reviews: 35
International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

We recently returned to Brisbane from Chile via Auckland where we changed carriers. Having purchased our duty free Pisco at Santiago airport, on the airside of the terminal and not receiving it until we boarded the first flight, to our surprise it was confiscated as we made our way to our second flight at Auckland. Although we had not left the secure zone of either Santiago or Auckland terminals and were only transferring from carrier to another, there is no way that you can take your duty free, when it is over 100mls, from one carrier to another. This even extends to where you are transiting and re-boarding the same aircraft. (However, in that case, if you leave your duty free on board it won’t be confiscated.)

australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

Last time I went through Honk Kong returning to Aust it was the same

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

Sorry you encountered that, but it's pretty much standard for all transfers where you need to reclear security, which means transfers off an inbound international flight.

There are some airports that operate a reciprocal secure duty free bag system, but you need to be careful and ensure your flights can use this.

It can be worse. I flew Shanghai-Los Angeles on Saturday, and at boarding Chinese security were searching bags and enforcing the liquids rule on everyone boarding the aircraft. So any liquids acquired air side (after security), including duty free were confiscated.

I've also seen Korean security do the same at US bound flights at Incheon, and not just boarding US carriers (I was flying OZ).

Edited: 3:06 am, October 29, 2012
Madrid
reviews: 7
3. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

Leaving it on board may also get it confiscated during security checks.The only safe way is to buy on your last sector,but even that doen't always work,eg if you buy in Bangkok flying to Perth you may have it removed from you.

London, United...
reviews: 19
4. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

Yes, like the others have said this is pretty much standard practice worldwide. However, one of your options could have when you arrived at Auckland to placed these in or with your checked luggage through to Brisbane.

I purchased several hand creams in Auckland and then transited in Singapore where I managed to do this. However that said, when I initially purchased the hand creams they did warn me about this and advised me of my options to carrying these items through.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 4
5. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

This is also the case on the United flight from LAX to MEL , you have to transfer in SYD and will have your duty free confiscated , all in the same country and behind sercurity airside.

That is why I now always pre-order my duty free for pick up in MEL , my final stop

Edited: 4:46 am, October 29, 2012
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 138
6. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

Friends travelling to AU also had this problem recently. I don't think this applies to all countries, just AU, US and some others. Sorry it happened to you, but next time purchase duty free at your last port of transfer.

Chile looks like an amazing place, hope you had a good time anyway before you had your booze snatched :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 19
7. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

When you enter the US ( at least at JFK) you are reunited with your checked baggage to walk through customs. You COULD use this time to stuff your duty free into the luggage. Nothing stops you from opening it prior to rechecking it.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

The main exception to this rule is within the EEA (EU plus a few countries) where liquid purchases > 100ml bought AIRSIDE at one EEA airport can be taken through AIRSIDE security checks at another EEA airport if it's in a tamper proof bag that hasn't been tampered with, you have the receipt and it's within 24 hours of purchase.

NZ
reviews: 28
9. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

I lost my bottle of brandy at Heathrow for exactly the same reason. Never gave it a thought that transit needed additional security checks.

Redland City...
reviews: 35
10. Re: International transit at Auckland - Duty free problems

Thanks for all messages of understanding. I guess it is a case of once bitten . . . At least, on the bright side, it was not a very expensive bottle of scotch or French champagne. That would have cause so much more angst. But now we have to find a seller of pisco in Australia, and we don't think that, over here, it will cost only $10 a bottle.