We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

Hangzhou
reviews: 77
Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

Whatever you do in India, DO NOT fly this airline.

We got to Mumbai airport 2 hours early for a domestic flight, they told us they had overbooked and to wait. From there it was so comical it was beyond belief.

At one stage, they took us to the security gate with "boarding passes" and told us one of us might be able to fly in the cockpit, they would check with the pilot. This is in 2012. As you can imagine, this was a fruitless promise.

In the end after 2 hours waiting we got bumped, and they offered us $30 USD and to be flown somewhere else in India 5 hours from our destination but that we had to pay for the cost of the 5 hour car ride to get there.

They wouldn't even pay for a hotel in Mumbai for us to stay the night and board a flight the next day.

I wrote in and complained and their response was an even bigger joke than their customer service at the airport.

Do yourself a huge favour and never use this airline. Spice jet in comparison was a god send, i left a PSP on the plane and they got it back to me the next day.

76 replies to this topic
Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 90
1. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

All transport within India is pretty chaotic., road, sea, rail and air it's no different.

I sure as you found from your travels, a degree of patience and a sense of humour go a long way. Just don't expect Western/Asian levels of service.

Every thing gets done in the end 'The Indian Way'.

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 44
2. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

<<I sure as you found from your travels, a degree of patience and a sense of humour go a long way. Just don't expect Western/Asian levels of service.>>

Well said!

Milford, Ohio
reviews: 92
3. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

I've been to India 5 times and agree - Eveything gets done in the end 'The Indian Way.' It's not good, it's not bad - it is what it is! I, for one, love the Indian people and culture. They always mean well and are very friendly/happy people. Hope you had an enjoyable trip!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
4. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

Hi,

I agree that India, like most countries and regions has it's own "flavor" or style of doing things.. and that to me is part and parcel of travel.

That said, I also think that in a broader context the national air system in India needs some... attention, overhaul or re-design-- what ever you want to call it..

It's not that it's overtly poor, but I do think that given how fast that national and international market has grown and most in the industry expect it to grow in the near to middle term, that it behooves them, passengers in the system, employees and and their national flagged carriers for a more comprehensive and streamlined system to be put into place to foster and facilitate this expected growth.

Travel Safe,

Hangzhou
reviews: 77
5. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

I was just amazed at how poor their customer service was when everything else i experienced in India in all of the hotels, guides and other airlines was either very good or excellent.

I have lived in China for the last 6 years so i am hardly expecting western levels of service, but my experience with them was far and beyond worse than anything i have experienced here in China, and that is saying a lot. This is the first time in my life i have written in to an airline or any service provider which should show my tolerance level.

Fly with them at your own peril.

Portland, Oregon
6. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

Agree with you all. Being an Indian myself, I really hate how Customer Service means nothing to this airline. After a long flight from West Coast of US to New Delhi and then waiting for 8 hours, after the Checkin the flight is first delayed for 2 hours (agree) and then cancelled for the day. And the lady was had loads of attitude and didnt even have the courtesy to apologize.

The lady was so inhumane... a person was going to his mother's funeral and was just complaining to her that he bought the ticket for 5 times its normal price as it was urgent and had to go for his mom's funeral. This stupid lady says "Is your mom more important or the money?" I doubt if she really understands the meaning of education. I have been always taught that being educated meant you have the ability to think and react in a polite and proper manner. She lacked those skills.

On top of that when I asked for refund, they deducted money in the refund though it was cancelled by the airline.

All I have to say is Jet doesnt deserve to be in business. They do not understand the meaning of Customer Service

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
7. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

Hi,

"This stupid lady says "Is your mom more important or the money?""

==> Not acceptable in my book.. That kind of comment is, to me, not acceptable by staff.. It's both insensitive in context and unprofessional in application.

I *also* think calling her "stupid" falls into this same category.. I suspect the issue is not her attained educational level or knowledge - which to me the term 'stupid' would be centered upon - but more to do with professionalism..

As to the refund, did they give you a reason or can you cite via your specific fares' terms and conditions or the general T&C's of Jet, as to how refunds, under what you claim is involuntary circumstances, are handled? The reason I ask is that its more common for a refund to be fee-free IF it's due to carrier controllable matters - but this is not a universal.

Travel Safe,

London, United...
reviews: 23
8. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

Agree with Gobpi, two wrongs don't make a right.

Have to say though, I love the comment on the op where they were told to wait as one of them may be ale to fly with the pilot in the cockpit. That's one of the funnier things I have read in a while:))

Nannup, Australia
9. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

<<he bought the ticket for 5 times its normal price>>

From who?

London, United...
10. Re: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!

>><<he bought the ticket for 5 times its normal price>>From who?<<

The co pilot, I think, that's why there was a seat in the cockpit free:))

Reply to: Jet Airways India - never fly them!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted