We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 53
5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

Has anyone travelled in one of the few economy seats located at the rear of the premium economy section on the upper deck of some of the Qantas A380's?

According to the Qantas seat map and seat guru there appears to be 5 rows of them. Some of them seems to have AC Power. Others don't. Other than this, are there any advantages or disadvantages of being in this location with Business and Premium economy?

114 replies to this topic
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 50
1. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

If you can get one of these seats go for it. For one thing, the upper deck is much quieter than the main cabin. It also has its own entrance and air bridge so getting on and off is much quicker.

I have a suspicion these seats may be reserved for Q Club members, FFlyers with high status and people paying full economy fare, but I could be wrong.

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

I'm only bronze FF travelling on a sale fare, but I can see a seat available in this section on my flight home.

It's a toss up between an aisle seat on the top deck with someone beside me, or what could be 3 seats to myself downstairs, as since allocating the seat they've blocked off all the seats around it going back several rows to the end of the aircraft (I've seen this happen before) which are showing 'unavailable' now, rather than occupied.

Edited: 1:07 am, October 23, 2012
Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 26
3. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

Actually if all the seats around the one you have chosen are now showing as "unavailable" rather than occupied by someone else then it is quite possible that you may find yourself allocated to another seat (probably in the middle somewhere) as your seat is possibly unavailable too.

I would never bank on seats being vacant beside you and would definitely choose the aisle seat upstairs.

Edited: 6:20 am, October 23, 2012
Sydney, Australia
4. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

Looks like QF want to charge me an additional $5 to make a seat change and I think I'd rather a window seat so I can attempt to get some sleep.

I work in the industry so I might ask someone to look up the flight and see what the deal is with the blocked off seats - if it looks like I'm going to be moved on the day I'll find another window seat downstairs.

I know for next time to go for a window seat upstairs for night flights on A380's with this configuration.

Edited: 6:52 am, October 23, 2012
London
reviews: 74
5. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

I got allocated one of the seats at the front of this cabin last week. I was moved onto the QF flight as my Finnair one was delayed.

I have no status with QF, but have bronze with BA. I didn't ask for the seat, just ended up there.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 18
6. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

I've just reserved some economy seats in the upper deck for our flight next month. Will be interesting to compare them with the economy seats I had downstairs last year.

australia
reviews: 17
7. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

as since allocating the seat they've blocked off all the seats around it going back several rows to the end of the aircraft (I've seen this happen before) which are showing 'unavailable' now,

I'd say they were "Codeshare" seats

Canberra
reviews: 66
8. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

I have a seat booked in row 36F and would love to find out from anyone who has travelled in these economy seats.

Melbourne...
reviews: 73
9. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

All seats on the A380-800 (388) have power adapters. Theres a huge difference in size of the seats in Prem and Business

London
reviews: 74
10. Re: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck

As I mentioned, I travelled in this cabin a few weeks ago. Think it was 32D (? - front row, centre block aisle seat).

There were USB chargers, but I didn't spot any plug sockets.

Reply to: 5 rows of economy seats on Qantas A380 upper deck
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted